Rear Suspension Suggestions

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I'm think way ahead in the future here, but would like your suggestions regarding drag racing rear suspensions. I was always under the impression that a back-half four link was mandatory for a straight, safe and level launch on anything faster than a 12.00 second car, but I also know that many of you are using SS springs and Cal-Tracs with great results. This car would be 80% track and 20% street and because of this, I would also like to hear of any "bad manners" that any suggested suspension set-up may have on the street. The racing will be all bracket, so it needs to be as consistent as possible.

Basically, I'm looking for three different set-ups, so I can choose what to build, and how involved it may become when the time comes:

10.00 to 11.00 second build
11.00 to 12.00 second build
12.00 to 13.00 second build

Thanks in advance! :toothy5:

I'm running stock springs w/ home made traction bars on my '65 Valiant running low 11's. Now that I got that out of the way, I do not recommend that set up. I am leaving a lot on the table as far as 60' times are concerned. This winter I am going to ladders bars. The Caltrac monoleaf and bars are plenty good into the 10's but I can purchase the ladder stuff just about as cheap plus if your are going to backhalf a car there is no sense in running leafs. Unless you really what to do your home work and you car runs 9's or faster I would stay away from a four link. It is very easy to get the setup wrong. There are approx 120 different setups on a four link suspension. Ladders are much more casual racer friendly.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.

I'm looking at a '67 Dart tonight for $1500, good body, trashed interior, /6, auto trans. Sounds like it would make a good bracket racer with some street use. I've got a good block at home and am planning a high compression, Solid roller cammed E-85 stroker small block motor W/Indy heads.

I agree with your concern regarding the four link. Way too many ways to get it wrong. I spoke with a local bracket racer here running low tens in a 72 Cuda and she hated the four link and went back to the Cal-tracs. She placed in the money too. When people win money, I listen LOL! Which ladder bar setup were you looking at?

Thanks again Chuck.

As you can see that my son's car is far from stock. It will see approx. 10% strip to start with. It has Chris Alston rails,coil overs and ladder bars hung on a Dana 60 with Moser axles. Was all of this needed for what this car will be used for ...NO but we got the chance to learn how to do our own cars now.
For the et's that your looking at a set of mini tubs,frame connectors and ladders bars or Cal Tracs would work fine. We have a friend that is running 10.6 with a set of Cal Tracs and mini tubs.
You dont have to go all out like we did...but it sure looks like a beast when your done..

Rick and Rickey Jr.

Picture 034a.JPG

Good link Chuck! The ladderbar setup appears to be a 3 link? Looks really stout and like you say, at a reasonable price. For what I'll be doing, this or the cal-tracs look to be the way to go.

69' Dart:
Yes, I should have mentioned that frame connectors will be mandatory for this build, and this project will definitely have them. You have one beastly looking dart there! If a 4 link isn't neccesary until the 9 sec. or faster range, I most likely won't do it. Yours looks great though and I can appreciate the knowledge gained by doing yourself. Man, those meats look wicked! Your son's car looks like a lot of the home built pro street cars I used to see in Chicago in the 80's with the 4 Link, tunnel ram and big Pro Comps. Look out 2000! The 80's are back and out to kick some new millenium ***!! LOL! I like it. How about posting some more pics?

the calvert system will propel a car into the 9 sec zone. case in point!!
calverts SS/G mustang, 9.6 e.t.on 9" tires, wheel stands. steve wann.s SS/FA 69 cuda, 9.67 on 9 " tires, kevin helm.s B/S camero, 10.0 on 9" tires, will stand it on rear bumper, look in national dragster, pg. 49, sept 7 issue.
the system is easy to adjust, simple to install. does not require butchering your car up!! also, the records in A/S and A/SA are in the 9 sec. in order to run that quick, the car has to 60 ft very ,very quick.

Cal Tracs don't work well w/SS springs. They will work better w/stock leaf springs even if they are for a 6 cyl. The leaf spring just has to maintain body height. The Car Trac system acts as a ladder bar set up. Many a 10.5 cars uses them successfully. I'm partial to a ladder bar. They work under most conditions better than SS springs, especially if you only go to 1 or 2 tracks. Dollar for dollar they are the better deal and w/QA1's you'll dial the suspension easily.

Cal-Tracs with their mono leafs and Rancho shocks will be good fairly deep into the 9's. Any faster than that and I feel a ladder bar/4 link becomes mandatory for top end handling. Just my opinion though.

A/MP
I'm confused with your reply, are you promoting the CalTracs setup or ladder bar setup with QA1's in this thread please?

P.S.
This is a great thread, I'm at the same point in making a simular decision, I hope for more replies from the experianced, thanks!

-
Back