rear suspension upgrade !

-

65-440

Reaction score
Time for my Sunday morning chores ! Finally installing my new super stock springs, MOPAR performance extended shocks, shackle bushings and new parking brake cable set !!

Finally got everything installed...put down a nice pair of black marks with no wheel hop !!!! now just need to adjust the parking brake cable .... by far the worst pair of leaf springs i've ever installed ... im thinking thev'e been bolted up since 1970, so many frozen bolts its not even funny ... definately took alot of patience !!

Attachments

• DSCN3305.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 846
  • DSCN3306.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 833
  • DSCN3307.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 852
  • DSCN3308.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 825
  • DSCN3309.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 843
  • DSCN3310.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCN3311.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 838
looks great! Wish I had that much space in my garage

Make sure the shackles are oriented properly. When looking at the drivers side they should be pointing towards 10-11 o'clock and the pass side at 1-2 o'clock.

Top bushing in front of the lower bushing in the spring.

Nice work on the replacement.

looks great! Wish I had that much space in my garage
Thanks ! yes, a 2 car garage is a plus, a little tight when both the dart and wifes car are parked plus my junk !!

What size are the springs? 003, 002...
yes

Make sure the shackles are oriented properly. When looking at the drivers side they should be pointing towards 10-11 o'clock and the pass side at 1-2 o'clock.

Top bushing in front of the lower bushing in the spring.

Nice work on the replacement.

thank you ! as of now the shackles are straight up and down ... we'll see after it settles !

Where'd you get the parking brake cables from?? I need some new ones myself. Thanks.

How much did it raise the rear end? Is the ride super stiff now? Hows the traction compared to before?

How much did it raise the rear end? Is the ride super stiff now? Hows the traction compared to before?
I had the air shocks pumped up pretty good before, leaf springs were shot ! Bottom of wheel lip to ground is 24" with a 15" wheel. The ride is very nice, alot softer than before. Heard a bunch of complaints about ride quality with super stock springs before, not sure on they're shock combo but with the correct shocks ride quality is really good. Make sure shackles move freely also ! Traction its what it its on the street, but wheel hop is completely gone !!!
P4529514 part # on shocks ?
Yes that is correct. Got all my parts through my dodge parts department...

i noticed while looking at the ss springs that there are a few options like weight, drag launch etc... Which springs did you use? Thanks.

Any problems with the size of the bolt hole on the front shackles? Seems to be a lot of talk about the front bushings are set up for a 5/8 bushing and the cars are set up fro 1/2"etc... Are your springs the Mopar Performance brand? Summit racing? Thanks

Any problems with the size of the bolt hole on the front shackles? Seems to be a lot of talk about the front bushings are set up for a 5/8 bushing and the cars are set up fro 1/2"etc... Are your springs the Mopar Performance brand? Summit racing? Thanks

funny you say that, the bolt hole in the front bushing is bigger than the factory bolt / hole in mount. Pissed me off when i started putting it back together. I torqued the bolts down REAL tight and so far no noises. Is there a better fix for this besides drilling the factory mount holes and changing bolt ? You would think they would mention this when ordering the parts ! They are Mopar Performance springs, ordered from my Dodge parts department. Mancini told me the shocks i have were on crazy backorder, but my parts guy said they were in stocking depo and i had them in 3 days, no shipping !!!!! Got both springs, both shocks and rear poly-shackle bushings for $320 total ... awesome !!!

Thats what I was afraid of. Ive been trying to cover all the bases before getting the new springs. So on yours you have a 1/2 bolt through the 5/8" bolt/ bushing hole? i think the solution is to drill it to 5/8 and get a new bolt. that way everything is snug.

Best solution is drill the hanger to 5/8" and a new bolt/nut.

Easiest way would most likely be with a step bit.

Between the 002 and 003 is there a length difference when lined up side by side? Thanks

003 has more arch than 002. So if you want the car to sit level you can get 2 003 springs. Otherwise your car will lean to the right for the weight transfer when you launch

-
Back