rear sway bar?

-

idrift

Reaction score
Thinking of adding a rear sway bar to my swinger.
Does anyone have recommendations on this? Some
pictures of the install would also be very helpful.

I have an ADDCO bar, but if I was in the market now I think I'd look at the Hellwig bar (least I think that's the one someone here recently demo'd.

For the ADDCO bar I chopped an inch or so off the two |_| braces because stock they were too thin to fit around the 8.75 rear and so drapped down too much. But that was back in the 90s and so I have no idea if that would still be a problem.

Here's what I put on the '67 'Cuda......Don't know how it's going to
work yet. I got it from Year One IIRC

rear_Medium_.jpg

T. F. - that looks just like my Addco bar, cept mine is gold in color. Those |_| clamps that go around the axle are what I was talking about. Looks like yours are slipping a little.

Check out this thread from awhile ago.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...s a Hellwig on the rear of my 1971 Dart GT.

Rear Hellwig sway bar.jpg

Do you really believe that there were enough of any dead animal to make all that oil that's in, or been in the earth?

I bought an Addco setup from Just Suspensions.
Bar is 11/16 inch diameter, largest I could find for my Duster.
Total cost of $89.95 for the kit, tons cheaper than everywhere else for the same kit, albeit with a smaller bar. Also got a front sway bar from them 1 1/16 inch diameter.
These things make one heck of a difference.

I bought an Addco setup from Just Suspensions.
Bar is 11/16 inch diameter, largest I could find for my Duster.
Total cost of $89.95 for the kit, tons cheaper than everywhere else for the same kit, albeit with a smaller bar. Also got a front sway bar from them 1 1/16 inch diameter.
These things make one heck of a difference.
That sounds like a really good price.
I added poly bushings to my stock front bar but think a larger would
make a bigger difference and adding a rear also.
I did new leafs in the back last year and this year was new front complete
steering box and all. I added .920 T bars too so am thinking it should handle
better than new.

T. F. - that looks just like my Addco bar, cept mine is gold in color. Those |_| clamps that go around the axle are what I was talking about. Looks like yours are slipping a little.

Not slipping........haven't driven it yet. Those marks are from the
bracket.......trying to get it centered and positioned. Finally
had to get some longer end links so the angle would be correct.

The front eyes of the bar were pointing up about 45 degrees
with the short end links it came with.

I like the look of the Firm Feel setup, I think I'm also going to get the LCA stiffening kit from them for my Duster.

I don't know if this helps but I have the factory front and rear setups in my 69.
The front I scavenged out of a 4 door at the yard many years ago and the rear was out of a 75/76 Valiant police package car that a friend had found back when these were around and used on a few of his cars. He traded me for a third member years ago and I finally had installed quite a few years later.
There weren't many of them ever built but they mount like any other b body police package car and it drives very different then it did before hand, tight, both ends kinda move together, and it has a bit more over steer but it corners great as long as you know what your doing. A sure grip probably doesn't help but it keeps things interesting.
If you do find one somehow the frame mounts are a bit wider then the later mounts were, I only had one original mount, and one from a B body and the later one was too narrow and wouldn't go over the rails on the rear of the 69.
We got one out of a diplomat and rebent and reworked it and it seems to be fine.
The car is pretty balanced, rides about the same as before, though it had 340 suspension and a fast ratio box factory, just no bars. I also put poly bushings in it and replaced most of the suspension parts. The book performance handling for classic Mopars can be a big help deciding what package is best for the way you intend to use your car, especially when you'll most likely be using a after market setup.

I've gone the same route as 69Dartman on my Demon. I used an aftermarket bar, but mounted it like the A38 cop car A-body. The advantage of mounting the bar on the body as opposed to the axle is that unsprung weight is reduced. This results in better ride control because the springs and shocks have less weight moving around with them, the additional weight is carried by the body.

I wouldn't worry too much about the effect of a sway bar on the unsprung weight of a solid rear axle. Once you add brakes tires and wheels you're looking at about 300lb for the whole assembly which is unsprung weight. Our rear bar weighs 7 lb and if you assume half of that weight is carried as unsprung weight by the axle, you're not changing the weight of the axle enough to be perceptible.

As a guy who has installed both the Hellwig and Firmfeel, the Hellwig is a better installed design. The firmfeel frame mounts go right where brake line(drivers side) and fuel/return line(pass side) go, so they need to be moved. When I did the FF ona 70 dart, I had to cut the fuel lines and add braided steel. The Hellwig is a fantastic setup.

Keep in mind you need the bigger front bar they make to have their rear bar. Having front/rear bars the same size is not a good idea.

Dave might chime in and let you know why.

If you want the latest and greatest setup our tubular 1-1/8" front and 3/4" adjustable rear bar is the way to go. Part numbers are as follows

55906 67-72 Mopar A-body Tubular 1-1/8" FSB
6907 63-76 Mopar A-Body 3/4" Adjustable RSB

If you have a 73-76 K-member then use

55905 73-76 Mopar A-Body 1-1/8" Tubular FSB

From your pic it looks like you're on the East Coast. If you want personal service, try the following:

SC&C (610) 346-8154.

You can also purchase them through Summit, Just Suspension, or Suspension Connection.

Well I think the mounting system the cop package uses is just a better way of doing it then some of the after market ones use myself anyways so the hard part was figuring out the missing frame mount and making it work on mine. The shock plates we had and installed them a few weeks before we figured out the missing frame mount. Lucky the 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 use the same size tubes and shock/axle plates.
The car didn't seem much different with just the front bar on, I saw more difference just from the new suspension pieces. When we finally got the rear bar on the car was completely different, night and day=D>

I have a firmfeel on the front and an addco on the rear and they work great! Don't go too fat on the rear bar, you want to keep the rubber on the ground. Too stiff will make things worse.

Also if you go too big in the back it will get really loose and the back end will come around really easy. The rear bar must compliment the front one.
I can't remember the exact ratio f/r. Maybe somebody can step in.

Its hard to make a general rule as far as what diameter is best because most of the aftermarket sway bars have differing geometry which affects the way the bar performs. About the only way you are going to find out what works best for you is to drive the car and test different sway bars and diameters. This is what we do when developing our kits. Sway bar diameters are determined by ride and drive,slalom test, etc to determine the best diameter for the application. Using a matched set of bars from the same manufacturer will eliminate a lot of the guesswork. We also make the rear bar adjustable so that you can 'tune' the roll stiffness of the rear bar to match your driving style. .

I can attest to what Dave says on how the car performs. It is night and day with a matched set of bars. For adjustability, the rear Hellwig bar is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I am not slamming Firm Feel, they good stuff as well. Their front bar is fine, just a bigger fan of Hellwig's rear bar.

Addco on the other hand..........

If you want the latest and greatest setup our tubular 1-1/8" front and 3/4" adjustable rear bar is the way to go. Part numbers are as follows

55906 67-72 Mopar A-body Tubular 1-1/8" FSB
6907 63-76 Mopar A-Body 3/4" Adjustable RSB

If you have a 73-76 K-member then use

55905 73-76 Mopar A-Body 1-1/8" Tubular FSB

From your pic it looks like you're on the East Coast. If you want personal service, try the following:

SC&C (610) 346-8154.

You can also purchase them through Summit, Just Suspension, or Suspension Connection.

On Susp Conn site I see 5906 (is this tubular or solid) & 6905 (rear 1"). What's the deal with the different PN's?

-
Back