Rear view mirror disassemble

-

Greg S THomas

Reaction score
My rear view mirror from my 74 dart is very hard to move around so I'm trying to take it apart and clean it. I can get everything dissembled except the part on the mirror body that will give me access to the mirror 'swivel' piece. Can anyone tell me how to get this apart?

Thanks

Is this what you are referring to? I would just use a little penetrating oil and move it a little at a time until it moves freely.you may find that it will move too easily after doing that. If so degrease the area( electronic cleaner). If still too free a SMALL drop of penetrating loctight (low strength)will secure it if moved several times before it is fully set.
image.jpeg

I haven't seen much I couldn't get apart but a lot that I could not get back together. If you really want to access this area the glass can be removed from the vinyl retainer around the housing. Because of possible damage or my above reason I would advise against it unless your pretty handy.
Yote

I'm pretty handy, there isn't much that I can't take apart and get back together but I've always wondered what to do with the left over parts:)

So I took glass off and there is no access to any bolts or screws. I need to take off the back panel - I've included a picture.

Thanks

P6260015.JPG

My apologies, your mirror is different than 72 demon and a later duster mirror that I have dealt with. Don't believe I will be of any help at all.
Yote

How did you mange to remove the glass from the vinyl retainer. I have a decent housing and attaching bracket; but the glass is broken-Thanks

The mirror in our 73 Valiant would stay in place in cold winter but move at acceleration from stopped in hot summer. Replacement from a 75 model donor sitting here was my simple cure.
So what I'm saying is agreeing with above, lube it, work it, hope it doesn't become too loose.

Both mirrors pictured are completely different than the one in my 72 Duster. That one was super easy to take apart, restore and tighten up.

-
Back