Rear view mirror / windshield adhesive

-

sireland67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is everybody using now a days for adhesive to attach a rear-view mirror to the windshield?
I have had two fails using the permatex brand from the parts store.
The first time I only let it set 24 hrs before installing the mirror and it came off in a few days.
The second time I let it sit for 7 days, and the sob came loose before I even got the screw tightened on the metal tab.

I bought the adhesive at two different parts stores, thinking the first time maybe it was a bad batch of adhesive, or I did not let it set up long enough.

Is the old style two part stuff still available that you had to break the glass veil?
This stuff was like kriptonite, and would bond the metal piece to the glass and never come off.

What is everybody using now a days for adhesive to attach a rear-view mirror to the windshield?
I have had two fails using the permatex brand from the parts store.
The first time I only let it set 24 hrs before installing the mirror and it came off in a few days.
The second time I let it sit for 7 days, and the sob came loose before I even got the screw tightened on the metal tab.

I bought the adhesive at two different parts stores, thinking the first time maybe it was a bad batch of adhesive, or I did not let it set up long enough.

Is the old style two part stuff still available that you had to break the glass veil?
This stuff was like kriptonite, and would bond the metal piece to the glass and never come off.
I've used the gorilla brand 2 part epoxy and it's been holding all summer, my other half says he can still get mirror glue kits from the Chrysler dealership parts department.

I have had mixed results with the permatex but never that bad, usually lasts between 1 to 5 years. I use a razor to make sure there is nothing left in the glass, never sand the metal backing piece, it needs to be flat and smooth, almost polished.

I use some acitone on the glass and metal part, then follow up with 100% achohol.

Then follow the directions, this is a situation where more is not better. The small drop is all that is needed.

I would do it on a relitively cool windshield.

I have had mixed results with the permatex but never that bad, usually lasts between 1 to 5 years. I use a razor to make sure there is nothing left in the glass, never sand the metal backing piece, it needs to be flat and smooth, almost polished.

I use some acitone on the glass and metal part, then follow up with 100% achohol.

Then follow the directions, this is a situation where more is not better. The small drop is all that is needed.

I would do it on a relitively cool windshield.

I did the same thing, except the acetone on the glass, and the windshied may have been warm, late evening each time when I tried it.

3M used to make an adhesive kit, but I haven't looked for them in a while. I always used a grease pencil on the outside of the glass where the mirror was to be located & cleaned the inside well with a razor blade, acetone & alcohol. I always made sure the glass was cool to the touch before I put the bracket on & I waited until the next day before installing the mirror.

Thanks, I forgot about 3M their stuff always works.
I just ordered some 3M off Amazon, also I ordered the 2 part in the glass veil permatex brand off amazon also.
One of these should stick the sob on there.
Aggravating how big company's have cheaped out.

Just be easy on tightening the set screw. Just tight enough to keep the mirror from wobbling.....nothing more.

I just drive to the body shop, give him $5 and its done with the professional stuff.

Same stuff you get at the local auto parts store. Just a special two part epoxy for glass.

I had one of those damn bonded mirrors on a 1990 daytona. Tried the glue kits twice. Super cleaned it yadda yadda, yadda. Bot times, that ******* mirror ended up coming off in the heat. I ended up scuffing the glass in the spot for the metal mirror mount then I glued it back on with JB weld. That worked permanently. When I was married to my first wife, she had a wreck that totalled the car, I bought it back and parted it out. Windshield was cracked, so I grabbed the mirror to pull it off, it took a small chunk of windshield glass with it. I will never use any of those B.S. mirror adhesive kits again.

I called a glass company. They came out - 10mins it was tough as nails- cost me like $20 cause I waited till they had a job in town. Worth every penny. I’ve tried those kits- between most are dry tubes from sitting on the shelf so long or weak product I’ve personally never had luck with over the counter. Lol! Teaches me a lesson not to shift my 4 speed so hard.

Third time was a fail also.
I used the old school tubes you break, let it sit for a few days, the mirror fell off before I made it around the block.

I do have one more kit by 3M I will give it a try.

Never have I had such a issue with a mirror.
If I was actually working in the plant instead of from home, I would get some Hysol aircraft adhesive and stick the the button on.

-
Back