Rear wheel cylinder help

-

JGOODY

Reaction score
when using 11" x 2 1/2" rear drum ( manual ) brakes does anyone know the correct wheel cylinder bore size to use 15/16" or 1 3/16"

Thanks

When using 11" rear drums what is the correct size wheel cylinder bore 15/16 or 1 3/16

It depends on the type of car 2doors got 15/16. hp cars or station wagons / 4door with big blocks got the larger ones.

I would also think it depends whether you have manual or power brakes.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the smaller.

I'm sure someone can clarify that thought.

They both could be correct,, depending on application,

I would hazard a guess that 1 3/16 would prob be best on a manual brake app.. and the 15/16 for power.

The Master cyl bore would also have some bearing on which to choose..

JMO...

They both could be correct,, depending on application,

I would hazard a guess that 1 3/16 would prob be best on a manual brake app.. and the 15/16 for power.

The Master cyl bore would also have some bearing on which to choose..

JMO...

Isn't it recommended to use a smaller bore MC on manual brakes?

That's the only reason I was thinking the way I was.

Would using the smaller wheel cylinder create a bleeding problem? I've been having major issues with bleeding the rear brakes. I have front disc and rear 11" drums. The fronts bleed ok but both rear wheel cylinder cups are sucked in and I get no movement in the shoes. My master cylinder is actually is for a power brake setup but have seen it used in this config. Any suggestions? Thanks

Size would make no diff to bleeding,

You're not getting fluid out of the rear bleeders,,??

Did you bench bleed the m/c ??

but both rear wheel cylinder cups are sucked in and I get no movement in the shoes.

That's odd, it almost sounds like the MC is working in reverse, like creating suction when you release the pedal. I don't even know if that's possible.

-
Back