Rear wheel cylinder with 5/16 bleeder

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
My 64 dodge A100 needs new rear wheel cylinders. They are 13/16" bore, and have the small 1/4" bleeder screws. Does anyone know of a wheel cylinder that will work having the larger 5/16" bleeder screws? The rear drums are 10" Part number or app please.
If I have to replace the wheel cylinders, I would much rather install ones with the larger bleeder screws.

I hear ya on that. I haven't seen that many, but all I've seen is the little guys.
I haven't broken any yet, but in the past,I've dinked around far too long,with heat,on a few, to be able to save them.
I must say tho that anti-seize in there must be good for many years,cuz,I put that stuff on all the chassis bolts in 98/99 when I put my project together,and so far, I have not come across a seized bolt.

I hear ya on that. I haven't seen that many, but all I've seen is the little guys.
I haven't broken any yet, but in the past,I've dinked around far too long,with a few, to save them. I must say tho that anti-seize in there must be good for many years. I put that stuff on all the chassis bolts in 98/99 when I put my project together,and so far, I have not come across a seized bolt.
Well this A100 is from California and the wheel cylinders just might be the factory ones. Some things have come loose very easy,...but some not so much.

I haven't broken any yet, but in the past,I've dinked around far too long,with heat,on a few, to be able to save them.
I must say tho that anti-seize in there must be good for many years,cyz,I put that stuff on all the chassis bolts in 98/99 when I put my project together,and so far, I have not come across a seized bolt.

x2...

Does anyone know what year Chrysler wheel cylinders ,started to have 5/16" wrench size for the bleeder screws ? When I worked at the garage, I recall them. Just don't remember when the change was.

Does anyone know what year Chrysler wheel cylinders ,started to have 5/16" wrench size for the bleeder screws ? When I worked at the garage, I recall them. Just don't remember when the change was.

No, but I don't see why it matters, as long as you can bleed the brakes is what counts...

Just put some anti-sieze on the threads of the bleeder screws before bleeding them so they can be freed up later.

If not, use a propane torch and a 6 point socket to break them loose if they get stuck...

Or, can you just buy the 5/16" bleeder screws separately and trade them for the 1/4" ones? Is the thread the same? #-o

No, the the threads are different. And so are the seats. However,I have seen the large thread screws with the small hexes.

The small ones are really easy to snap off, on account of once they are drilled, they are pretty weak.There is very little meat left attaching the hex to the hollow core.

About the only way I have successfully removed a seized one is to take the entire cylinder off, sometimes with the hard line, and then clamp the whole she-bang in the bench-vise. Then disassemble it,and hit it it with the acetylene torch.

The small bleeders brake so easy. My current wheel cylinders have bad pit in them. Was just hoping to replace them with the type that have the larger bleeder screws.

I feel your pain. Every new cylinder has the small bleeder and is made in china. Thread size on the ones I have encountered are M6×1.0 and they are long and thin. I twisted a couple just getting them tight enough not to weep fluid.

I was lucky to have a few used, rebuildable cores. 5/16"-24 is the correct thread size. I keep hoping to run across some refurbished/rebuilt cylinders done on old made in the USA cores. Haven't found em yet and every new brand, from cheap to expensive looks exactly the same.

If you have cores, there are companies that will sleeve them with stainless sleeves and make them like new. Prices seem to be around $60 per cylinder.

-
Back