Rear window replacement?

-

PA Dodger

Reaction score
I bought my '69 Dart convertible a few years back. It has a new top with the plastic rear window. It came with an extra glass rear window. I don't see a way to swap them. I see the window top has a zipper but I don't see a way to remove the bottom. Am I missing something? Can they be swapped or is the decision made when the top is installed?

good question, i'll go check mine & see if it has the same style top----- also post up some pictures everyone likes to look!! Lawrence

You can replace it, but you need to remove the strips at the rear and on the sides. Those strips also hold the top in place. Both pieces are stapled to the strips.

Somebody correct me if this is wrong... Unzipping the plastic backlight is not absolutely required before lowering the top but where a hard backlight is present you must unzip it before lowering the top. The 2 snapped straps catch it so it doesn't drop far, just enough to prevent busting the zipper.
And yes the backlight's surround is stapled in where the top is so it all needs to come apart from the dutchman panel to the rear most cross bow.

Hmm...I'm not seeing myself changing it any time soon if I have to undo a perfect top and risk screwing it up. I also like like the idea of unlatching and lowering the top and hitting the road instead of crawling in the back seat to undo the rigid window.
Thanks

Attachments

• smpassrear_zpsee87a0ad.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 146
Have never unzipped my glass before lowering top. The 67 and newer cars were designed for the glass to be left in place and top dropped.

Older cars that had glass needed to be unzipped so they would fold correctly.

Some convertibles had larger plastic rear window than if they had glass, not sure on the darts since all 3 of the ones I had we're glass

ALL 1967-1971 Mopar convertibles left the factory with a glass rear curtain. NONE of them needed to have the window unzipped before putting the top down...

-
Back