rear window straps?

-

Bad Shrimp

Reaction score
Was looking at the rear window straps on some of the old TransAm cars. Are they made of aluminum? Do they use sheet metal screws or machine screws into body? Any benefit in drilling/attaching them directly to rear lexan/plexiglass window in addition to body?

keep.jpg

i would assume they are aluminum and i think bolting them in would be best. seems like the screws would/might pull out. i see no need to bolt the window to them when the straps are on the outside. i also don't see a need for them in a drag car because all the windows should be closed when racing unlike road racers that have them open.

Having the window straps have no function on a dragcar, but they could serve as fashion. I think they look kind of cool. JMO.

IF you were going to put them on your car you could use liquid nail. That is how I attacted my fiberglass bumper to the brackets on another dragcar. I talked to VFN at an auto performance show and that is what they told me to use. I wanted a clean look with no bolts showing so that is what they suggested. I had it on the car for 5 years and showed no signs of being loose.

They are attached to the body and the lexan. Usually it's rivets or bolts. Screws my not be allowed, and I'mcertain adhesives won;t be. I'm not way up on Trans Am type rules but i'm pretty sure a mechanical form of retention will be mandated. I think his screen name here is AUTOXCUDA... he can probably spout off any rule you need for road racing.

If you look real close you can see the rivets on the straps. I guess I misunderstood his question. I was thinking he was just putting them on to be different. MY BAD:thumbup:

-
Back