rear windshield lock strip too long??

-

KenZ

Reaction score
My daughter and I installed the rear windshield in her 73 Duster today. man, what a tough job. But, we got it in. :)

The problem is that the lock strip appears to be too long. It's the original lock strip, gasket and glass.

I assume it stretched as we put it in. Do we need to reinstall it? Or is it okay cut the loop out of it? It's also a little long across the bottom.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken & Heather.

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

You should pull the lock strip back out and push it in as you install it (take the stretch out) I've done this in the past and cut the excess off. Use silicone spray on the lock strip and it's easy to force into the groove and take the stretch out.

You should pull the lock strip back out and push it in as you install it (take the stretch out) I've done this in the past and cut the excess off. Use silicone spray on the lock strip and it's easy to force into the groove and take the stretch out.

Yep, There is a tool for inserting the lock strip that helps prevent the stretching.
If you were to cut away the excess now the lock will be that much short once it settles.

Use a lubricant and feed it in as you go then cut off any excess. If it's not as flexable as it needs to be soak it in some diesel over nite and you'll be able to bounce it off the floor in the morning.
Small Block

We'll pull it out and try again. The strip is very flexible. We sprayed the channel with foaming glass cleaner and pushed it in using a plastic tool I was given by a friend who installs glass. He also recommended the glass cleaner since it's easier to clean up than silicone. It worked great and the strip went in nice an smooth. Guess we just pulled on the lock strip a bit too much as we did it.

Thanks for the help.
Ken

-
Back