rearend not centered

-

daves 72 dart

Reaction score
hello.i have the tire an the drivers side rubing the outer fenderwell and the tire on the passenger side rubing the inner fenderwell.the tires are 275/60 15. any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix the problem? the springs where moved in but the car still has stock fenderwells.

Several of the cars I have owned had rearends that were not centered properly from the factory. It's when you try to stuff bigger hides under there that it really matters. When you say the springs were moved in, are you talking about a relocation kit? If so, how far were they moved in? I am curious since you have stock fenderwells and have not at least mini-tubbed. Or, are you using an offset hanger/shackle kit?

This is why any wheel company/retailer (worth its salt) will ask you to take specific measurements (especially backspacing) before taking an order for wheels. They know that centering was not exactly a strong concern of the mnfrs. They want you to be aware of this common problem area before buying so that you either correct it before ordering wheels or at least order the correct backspacing for each side.

How were the springs moved in? Did you use the offset hangers or the actual relo kit that requires welding the front hanger into the frame? Did you also move the spring perches that are welded onto the housing? If so, did you use the perches that have one hole punched in them (the new ones) or the ones with 3 holes punched in them (the old ones). Are you using the stock springs or direct connection or aftermarket?

I've done a handfull of these offsets & relos projects and there are many things that can go wrong if your not carefull... dartlover

the springs where moved under the frame when i got the car.thay used the relo kit.i dont know what perckes they used.i will be getting mono leafs and caltracks. i measured from the back plats to the inside of the perches.on the drivers side it was 10 1/16" and the other side was 9 3/4".i dont know way thay didnt mini tub the wheel wells.

the springs where moved under the frame when i got the car.thay used the relo kit.i dont know what perckes they used.i will be getting mono leafs and caltracks. i measured from the back plats to the inside of the perches.on the drivers side it was 10 1/16" and the other side was 9 3/4".i dont know way thay didnt mini tub the wheel wells.

There's your answer right there. The perches weren't welded in the proper position. You'll have to cut them off and weld new ones on.

do you think it will dog track?im not worried about the rims i can get new rims. im worried about bog tracking.im olso worried about getting the pinnion angle right.i have never delt with welding the perches on.im not worried about welding i was a pipe welder fer 10 years.

If you look closely at the bottom of a back seat you'll find it's radius over the floor hump is about 2&1/2 inches off center. The reason for an off centered drive line has to do with 'U' joint life. Anyway... who ever welded the spring perches probably got the measurements wrong.

what do i do about this to fix it?im puting a 500+ hp 340 in it.i dont need things coming apart on me the first time i get on it.

what do i do about this to fix it?im puting a 500+ hp 340 in it.i dont need things coming apart on me the first time i get on it.

What I would do is go back to the beginning. Get exact measurements from a stock rearend then do the math for the relocation kit. You may find only one of your perches needs moved (never know).
I'm worried more about changing lanes at launch than something comming apart. For the general daily driver the concerns would be dog trot and tire wear. Good luck

thanks.and yes i dont need the a$$ coming around me.the car is not going to be a daily driver. im going to the track intill i get kicked out for not having a roll cage in it for going faster then 12 sec.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope someone see's this!! I have the same problem, except on the driver's side I have about 1/8" - 1/4" in. to the inner fender and on the passenger side I have 1/2" - 3/4". I've replaced the springs, shocks, and the shackle bushings. It seems to be fine when I set it back down off the jack, but as soon as I drive it, the drivers side goes back to being within 1/8" or even rubs the inner fender well when cornering. Is there an adjustment I can make along the driveline somewhere, or possibly a worn transmission mount is causing it to be off just a little?

Thanks in advance for any help :sad1:

I have reground the centering hole in the spring perches to the offset you need and welded up the excess,a 1/4" aint gonna hurt nothing but will give you more clearance,sway bars will help with the leaning part...I have went up to 1/2" before with no prob but dont get carried away,be sure to weld up the excess hole and grind flush,make sure your rear shackles are snug....

I have reground the centering hole in the spring perches to the offset you need and welded up the excess,a 1/4" aint gonna hurt nothing but will give you more clearance,sway bars will help with the leaning part...I have went up to 1/2" before with no prob but dont get carried away,be sure to weld up the excess hole and grind flush,make sure your rear shackles are snug....

That's the info I was looking for!! I was on the fence reguarding the sways too, but that was the nudge I needed.

Thanks a million. :thumrigh:

Your welcome, been in same boat more than once,sometimes you have to improvise a little,just weigh the pros and cons before you do something to get the desired results and on this deal you'll be okay,I've did it more than once...cutting off your perches and rewelding for 1/2" or less aint worth the trouble over slotting out the centering hole....but just my opinion..good luck

Your welcome, been in same boat more than once,sometimes you have to improvise a little,just weigh the pros and cons before you do something to get the desired results and on this deal you'll be okay,I've did it more than once...cutting off your perches and rewelding for 1/2" or less aint worth the trouble over slotting out the centering hole....but just my opinion..good luck

That is a great solution for the prickly problem of crappy factory tolerances.

What about adding an adjustable track bar? I don't think I'd be afraid to get an 1/8 or so that way.

-
Back