rearend question

-

brianroftsc

Reaction score
Ive been looking to upgrade my rearend (8 1/4) on my 73 dart sport ,well i met a man and he has a rearend off a 71 challanger (claims to be a dana 60) ,will this rearend fit my 73 dart?

If it's an E body rear, it will be too wide. A B body rear will work though.

Well, if it's a Dana 44, good luck getting the driveshaft to line up, as the 44 are the front axle of 4WD trucks, and the PIG is offset to one side. Not to mention that it is made to spin backwards!! Should make for interesting burnouts though!!

Ive been looking to upgrade my rearend (8 1/4) on my 73 dart sport ,well i met a man and he has a rearend off a 71 challanger (claims to be a dana 44) ,will this rearend fit my 73 dart?

I dunno why, but I suspect it's not a Dana.

Well, if it's a Dana 44, good luck getting the driveshaft to line up, as the 44 are the front axle of 4WD trucks, and the PIG is offset to one side. Not to mention that it is made to spin backwards!! Should make for interesting burnouts though!!

Dana 44's were used in LOTS of rear axles and I believe a modified version is what is the basis for the original Jag rear axles. In fact, just about every Spicer axle ever built was used in a rear drive application long before it was used in a front axle.

Removable rear cover doesn't equal Dana.....LOL

Yup. Absolutely.

71 challengers are mostly 8 3/4 axle. Except for the Hemi and MAYBE the 440 sixpack which might have a Dana 60. So yes they are rare, really rare.

if itis really a dana 60 from a challenger resto guys would give you their first born.lol meanest looking rear with a cover ever....

Ive been looking to upgrade my rearend (8 1/4) on my 73 dart sport ,well i met a man and he has a rearend off a 71 challanger (claims to be a dana 60) ,will this rearend fit my 73 dart?

Are you breaking the 8.25 ? Expecting to make a lot more power soon ?

-
Back