Rebirth of Dustbull-with 408ci, efi, t56, dana 60

-
Thanks a lot guys! Im hoping in a week or two to try and start it- My summer classes start monday, so ill be up there all week. My friend and i will hopefully get the intake welded up in tampa during that week. Then im planning it so that all i need to do is bolt the intake and injectors on and try to start it whenever i can get a break to come down here.

Im horrible at estimating weight, but rite now the fiberglass hood feels a good 20lbs+ lighter than the steel, ill weigh it before it gets primer on it...and i cant wait for the hood to be done either haha! Even though i got the hood for a good price, it must have been a poor quality piece originally, because ive spent more time correcting its faults then modifying it..

No photo-worthy progress on the hood, just grinding 'glass down and adding it elsewhere. I finished all the fuel lines i can until the new intakes on the car,I started laying out the efi wiring too (only ~10 wires).
DSC01310.jpg

And jtolbert: Its a 68 Gladiator thriftside, It has no floors and no bed they were so rusted out. I bought my 96 ram as a parts donor for it. im putting the cummins, 6spd manual, dana 60 front, and dana 80 rear underneath the kaiser..that project should be starting the second the demons done.
DSC01489.jpg

Updates arent as drastic as the last few..but a lot of the loose ends were taken care of. I got the intake manifold drilled ready to be tigged, got the new water pump on, the mechanical fuel pump block off installed, and the steering column in with the hydraboost above it. I spent a lot of time on tho hood, and its getting close to being presentable
Photo05131415.jpg

Photo05131237.jpg

Photo05130007_2.jpg

Thanks again guys..Im more then ready to drive this thing, ive forgotten what its like to accelerate faster than a dump truck haha. Ive been watching the two short videos i have of the duster the hear the idle, i forgot what it sounds like.

Just a bit more progress, the front ends together. I thought the bumpers were too far gone to use without painting, but my dad said theyre in acceptable condition, so we'll run them that way for now i guess. Ill need to find a 'new' rear bumper though, its a bit tweaked and has rust coming up through the chrome. Mechanically the hydroboost/brakes need to be addressed, and the intake-thats it, then tighten all the -AN fittings up, hook that 40yr old hunk of metal up to my laptop and try to start it up on efi.
DSC01420.jpg

Looks great. I think I am getting excited about it too. I check everytime I go to the Resto Section for updates. Keep on going it looks awesome.

Thanks dusted72...its getting there!
Ive been home for the holiday weekend, ill have some more pictures tomorrow of the progress, but heres what the hood looks like on the car, its getting very close to being painted flat black. As far as the bumpers go, the rear is in bad shape..depending on the condition of the one we find we'll either keep them chrome or paint them gloss black.
Photo05261016_1.jpg

On my way down i went to a you-pull-it yard and picked up a GM type 2 power steering pump, and an LED third brake light off of a blazer(?). I have a little bit of wiring left to do (hopefully only a half hour, all the wires have been run. Im most of the way through redoing the exhaust. The AN fittings for the hydroboost were on backorder, so that all still has to be done.

couple pictures to add- One of the hack job i did to fit the exhaust, i added a 45 degree bend to each side so the exhaust comes out under the car at the front of the leaf springs. The other is of the fuel pump and filter since i dont think i ever took a picture of it; i tightened all of the fittings down finally.
Photo05281128.jpg

Photo05281151.jpg

Man it is sure looking great. I can't wait to see you cruising that beast. But then again I am sure you are ready to be driving it too. Keep the pics a coming. I have really loved watching your build. Corey

Thanks Corey as always...I just got a picture from my dad, the hood is finally painted, i think its so glossy because its still wet, its some leftover paint from the duster's flat black
DSC01423.jpg

I dont know when ill be back down there again, things are starting to get busier than i was planning for but all thats left really is to try and start it up!

Well here it is on the car...the more i look at it the more i want to paint the bumper gloss black (like i said we still need a new rear bumper at any rate)
DSC01426.jpg

Oh, heres how i got the hood from craigslist, i had posted it several pgs back
DSC01631.jpg

Thanks, thats my dads Corvair..he got it a couple years ago to add to his list of daily drivers. Its a 4spd, 110hp

Nice. Oh just a thought. Why not paint the bumpers with the same flat black as the hood? Keep a running theme going.

I see your roll bar is pretty far back. Do you plan on racing this? I am just asking because the seat needs to be 6in MAX from the main hoop, so unless you are 6'4 or taller that seat is pretty far back. But if you have it all planned out, would love to hear how it worked out.

I was thinking gloss black to tie in the wheels, but flat would be different too...ive got at least a month to decide that though.

Im hoping to have it set up to race, but its not a serious track car..i looked at some rules/regulations, but im not sure if it would pass tech (id like to think it would haha). But yea, im 6'5" so it should be to spec. I raised the door bar up higher vs the dusters because i though it was too low to pass tech if that day ever came (because of that i lost use of the doors arm rest). Id still need a driveshaft loop, and rear firewall/bulkhead since my fuel cell is in the trunk..maybe battery shutoff? but those are pretty simple 'weekend' projects.

Thanks dusted72...its getting there!
Ive been home for the holiday weekend, ill have some more pictures tomorrow of the progress, but heres what the hood looks like on the car, its getting very close to being painted flat black. As far as the bumpers go, the rear is in bad shape..depending on the condition of the one we find we'll either keep them chrome or paint them gloss black.

On my way down i went to a you-pull-it yard and picked up a GM type 2 power steering pump, and an LED third brake light off of a blazer(?). I have a little bit of wiring left to do (hopefully only a half hour, all the wires have been run. Im most of the way through redoing the exhaust. The AN fittings for the hydroboost were on backorder, so that all still has to be done.

the dodge pumps off a late 70's truck don't run enough pressure? just wondering because I have had one heck of a time with v belts and hydroboost

I like your wheel & tire setup. Looks nice would you mind letting know the brand of wheel and tire size. Got a dart that would look nice with that setup.... Thank you for your time.....................

I like how clean the front of the engine looks with only the alternator on it since i have manual steering. I wanted to get the smallest (cheap) power steering pump i could get. I figure since it just needs to supply the hydroboost i dont need to worry too much about its specs. Currently the pump is a serpentine belt, but i dont know whether to convert it to a v-belt or weld a serpentine crank pully to my v-belt crank pulley...

The wheels are Cragar d-windows 17x8 up front and 17x9 in the back..i dont remember the backspace off the top of my head (5.5 bs rear, 4.5 bs front?) but its just whatever came standard ordering the wheels from Summit. The tires are 275/40/17 rear and 225/45/17 up front. The fronts were as wide as i could go on the duster, but i think with the different wheel well opening on the demon i can run a wider tire, well see when they wear out...

Glad u r ok .cant wait to hear some video of the car running .subscribed

I like how clean the front of the engine looks with only the alternator on it since i have manual steering. I wanted to get the smallest (cheap) power steering pump i could get. I figure since it just needs to supply the hydroboost i dont need to worry too much about its specs. Currently the pump is a serpentine belt, but i dont know whether to convert it to a v-belt or weld a serpentine crank pully to my v-belt crank pulley...

personally I would likely start a topic on it seperate from this thread and find out what other people did, I think you can run v belts but for what ever reason my pump doesn't have enough to supply the power steering and the hydroboost, when you push your foot hard on the brake the pump slows down and sometimes even stops!

Big hurdle just jumped: My friend and i finished up welding the intake and throttle body elbow! its not the prettiest, im going to grind everything down smooth for aesthetics while im gasket matching the intake, luckally im more skilled with a set of burrs then a tig torch...I also got my $30 ebay reservoir for the hydroboost pump (aka power steering pump haha). Ill need to tig in another -6AN bung for my high pressure bypass line.
DSC01757.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

My dad got the master cylinder all ready too
DSC01447.jpg

No car work scheduled for me this weekend, im hoping to look at and pick up a Syncrowave 351 tig welder, maybe in a few months my skills will have improved.

-
Back