Rebirth of Dustbull-with 408ci, efi, t56, dana 60

-
A bit more progress: the intake is on the engine (everything looks really clean inside, although the engine is only 25,000mi.), injectors are in, all of the wiring is done that needs to be done to start the engine too. I started on the last AN fittings/hoses that need to be made up. I ran into a bit of a problem with the throttle body, part of its linkage hits the intake elbow, Im going to order a new aftermarket, true 90mm throttle body to fix this problem.
DSC01768.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

DSC01782.jpg

I got a lot done that doesnt transfer well to the computer. The ebay TB had the TPS mount holed drilled incorrectly and the bolt pattern is too wide to adapt to my existing elbow, so I ended up making a 1/4" spacer and going with the old nissan throttle body for now. Im going to try and get it started this way, then redesign the elbow for the ebay TB.

I got everything hooked up and turned the key-no fuel leaks BUT when i crank the engine over im not getting a signal from the distributor. Everythings wired and configured correctly, im starting to think its the dist. module that went bad...
Close up of injector tie-downs, tacked into place to get angles all correct:
DSC01794.jpg

Please excuse the ugly throttle body, it cant even fit a filter on it its so long w/ the huge radiator hose that i am not a fan of either...
DSC01814.jpg

DSC01812.jpg

well, i got everything sorted out, it turned out to be a broken resistor in the "pull up" circuit for my distributor signal. Its running really crappy, but heres what it sounds like...it still dies at idle, and will instantly die if you touch the throttle, but its progress right?? haha
[ame=http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/63vette77/Demon/?action=view&current=MOV01825.mp4]
th_MOV01825.jpg
[/ame]

Got to use our new tig welder for the new 90mm throttle body. That turned out pretty nice. But to put the brakes on my progress i have somehow lost spark to the engine, im getting a signal from the distributor, but no signal to the coil...im getting 12v at the coil with the ignition on, but while cranking it goes down (why i have no idea; i havnt changed anything from last weekend when it actually ran for several seconds.)
DSC01829.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

We were having that issue with my friends truck. We used a key on wire to power a relay and ran power straight from the battery. It seems to work good like that. we tried like 5 different key on power sources and they all lost voltage when cranking. I guess it takes a good bit of power for the coil to work.

We were having that issue with my friends truck. We used a key on wire to power a relay and ran power straight from the battery. It seems to work good like that. we tried like 5 different key on power sources and they all lost voltage when cranking. I guess it takes a good bit of power for the coil to work.

all mopars use a brown auxiliary wire from the starter relay that provides power when cranking

the factory ballast resistor wire should have what your looking for

thanks guys..i messed around with a few things, with little to no luck. What makes this issue strange is that i had everything running last weekend. I think the problem is that the battery voltage was too low, and that the voltage drop from cranking caused there to be no spark. Wont really know until next weekend though...

...still can't get the thing to do more than a couple revs before dying. I think part of it is efi settings, but the other is that the timing is fluctuating +/- 30 degrees. I hate throwing parts at something and putting off problems, but I purchased a crank trigger to run the efi off of. I plan on running the efi as stand alone for now, with the ignition as it ran (flawlessly) in the duster. Once everything's up and running, and my next projects done (cummins kaiser as my permanent daily driver) then I will convert ignition over to individual coil system controlled by MS..updates in the weekend when I get my hands on it
DSC01818.jpg

After all this time, work, money, and effort im beyond ashamed and emmbarrased to admit it, but im going to be putting the carberetor onto the engine this friday. Ive been messing around with it too much, with little to show. I got the crank sensor to work saturday night, but sunday morning it was sending erratic signals for reasons unknown. The Unilite in the distributor also took a crap (likely physical damage when switching distributors out) even the Stim (used to test the MS II board) doesnt work. The MS still seems to be working great, i just cant figure out my input signal issues in a timely manner. And since the demon will be my daily driver for 400+ mi/wk i cant afford to run anything that is unreliable.
So i will be dropping the fuel pressure down to carb-friendly levels, putting the carb setup onto the demon, and running it this way until my 1968 Kaiser Gladiator is finished (cummins 4x4 6spd swap). The kaiser will become my daily driver since it will suite my future career needs better than a muscle car with 3.5" of ground clearance...While the kaiser is being built i will also be bench testing the MS so that it will be ready to be bolted onto the demon when its time comes (hopefully before winter ends).

Thanks SirDan, i know i will, i just dont have the free time/ shop time to be able to solve the issues currently. By bench testing it i can bring it up to tampa to my appartment, and will be able to repeatedly 'run' everything thats going to go in the car to make sure its reliable.

matt-Im planning on (finally) graduating with a bachelors in civil engineering. I have an internship currently that can involve a lot of poor quality dirt roads and field work.

Some how lost track of your progress. Last I remember the dusted got hit pretty badly. I didn't know you picked up a Demon. Congrats on the new ride and I'm sure you will get the MS figured out with a little time.

One other thing. I haven't seen you post on B.A.R. Last I remember some kid was claiming all your cars to be his. Glad you straighten all that out.

Good luck, with the new Demon and keep us posted on the MS progress.

Thanks, Aj

Trust me, if you are dealing with State Farm..... get a lawyer. They tried to cheap out on my dad's 73 Challenger 340 when one of their insurees T-boned him at an intersection. He wound up having it appraised and proved what work the car had done to it before they would pay up what it was really worth. It was worth it.
State Farm is great if they insure YOU.... and horrible if they reperesent the other guy.

And Geico sucks too. Kill every lizard you see! And beat up the caveman...

Alan

Geico sucks a**. I have been dealing with them since Feb and still haven't made a settlement. The offers are retarded and they will lowball you to no end. If anybody says they have GEICO, GET A LAWYER ASAP.

To the OP: Glad you got a Demon. A great replacement for sure!!

...One other thing. I haven't seen you post on B.A.R. Last I remember some kid was claiming all your cars to be his. Glad you straighten all that out.

Good luck, with the new Demon and keep us posted on the MS progress.

Thanks, Aj

Thanks Aj...I was doing a search on google for some ideas for the duster and the B.A.R. pics came up, thats how i found out about him. I never had visited the site before, a very odd sensation seeing his posts to say the least haha.

bdusted440, Normally the hydroboost would recieve high pressure fluid from the pump, then half (at high pressure) would go to the power steering box and the other half (low pressure) will return to the pump. Because i dont have power steering the low and high pressure return to the pump...you cant tee the high pressure return into the low, because it will cause the hydroboost to act as though your foot is on the pedal, so i have two lines going into a remote reservoir (remote to hopefully reduce aeration of the fluid going into the pump). The hydroboost is from an Astrovan and needed little modification to fit.

After getting the engine running with the carb, the brakes are next on the list; ill be sure to post up some pics of it as i do things...Actually, my dads waiting on parts for his projects so he said he was going to look into making the bracket for the power steering pump before i get down there

Thanks DusterKrazy, sorry to hear about your experience with Geico. We were really suprised that State Farm was willing to give us close to what we wanted...I may have said it before but: reciepts are what saved us, but even with what we got from State Farm we couldnt have rebuilt the duster for that price (if 90% of the car wasnt salvagable), especially if we had to pay a shop to do any of the work.

Someone claiming your cars were his... I feel like I missed a good story here :lurk: Never been to that site before, curious what he posted.

In other news, haven't been on in a while since my project's been stalled. You've made really fantastic progress. I love the throttle body idea but it's too bad it isn't working out. Here I am trying to get by with a holley 600 on a big block hahahaha :prayer: Keep up the progress!

On the insurance side, USAA is fantastic if you can get it.

Thanks guys I have faith the efi will be done, its mroe aggrevating that i had it running for ~5mins at one point, and now nothing...but i just dont have time to waste with the kaiser rusting outside of our shop.

Heres a link to the B.A.R. for anyone who likes a good story, i wrote in on the 2nd to last pg...
http://www.bayarearacing.org/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=8481

Wow, that's the right word for that - creepy.

Glad I don't have to worry about that, nobody claims junk that isn't theirs and all I got is junk.

That is creepy, why would someone even do that? Maybe to pump up some sort of false ego or like internet street cred or something, weird. Funny how he never replied at all after you posted in there. BUSTED!

I understand just running a carb for now, experiment with the EFI in the mean time until it's nailed down perfect. That's the only reason I'm gonna be running a 600 on my engine while I look for a bigger carb, I just want it to run and run now! haha

dustbull that was creepy I read all 5 pages of that thread did the admin do anything bout that guy?

-
Back