Rebirth of the 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger

-

dartman74

Reaction score
I am finally pleased to announce that next weekend I have the joy and privilege and getting to begin the restoration of my 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. This was my grandmothers car before she passed away in 1995 and it has been sitting at my father's place since (driven up until 2007). I am going to go pick it up and bring it back to N.C. with me. I am planning on doing a frame off resto and also plan on documenting the entire process here. Everyone here hang on and get ready for my questions please. I have always dreamed of having this car. I have already purchased the first item for it. A front bumper tag that reads ELVIS ( a tribute to my granny). I remember that plate being on the front bumper since I was a small child.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 700
  • 017.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 606
  • 018.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 535
  • 019.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 483
  • 020.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 493
Sweet have a good time doing your dart.

Nice car!! But tough way to get it, sorry about your grandmother. My dad had a '74 Swinger w/318. That is probably where my love of these cars came from. Can't wait to see your progress!!

Well, you're already a little ahead of the game on doing your "frame-off" resto since unibody cars don't have frames!
Anyway, looking forward to following your restoration. What are the plans? Stock resto? Or restomod and give your grandmothers ol' Swinger a few more ponies and a bit more pizzaz?

Thanks for the info ocdart!!!I was more or less using frame off as a figure of speech. LOL!! I am going to make her roll in her grave probably by the time I get through with it. More because of the paint job I have in mind. I am going to go with the sublime green and black. I would like to know from everyone here though. What are the year model interchangability parts for the 74? i.e. bumper from a 72 doesn't go with a 74.
THanks and thanks again ocdart!

Now that I have the dart in NC, I took some time to expose and see how bad the rust was in places. I also wanted to see how much work was going to be involved in the restoration. I took the pics today to start the documentation process. Here are the pics. Hopefully I will have this done in time for the 4th generation to drive this family owned car!LOL

Attachments

• IMG_7471 (640x427).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_7477 (640x427).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_7481 (640x427).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_7478 (640x427).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_7467 (640x427).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_7464 (640x427).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_7463 (640x427).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_7462 (640x427).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_7458 (640x427).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_7455 (640x427) (2).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 396
Gongrats on the new project ive got a 74 also so its good to follow along with another!

:banghead:So today tried a few simple things to try and get the dart started. Replaced the Ignition Ballast resistor and starter relay. Guess what? Still nothing. I guess now I will try the neutral safety switch and see if that does the trick.

Hey man looking good I LOVE SEEING THE 73-74 darts need any help let me know

Well it has been a while. I finally got the front end off of the car to begin cleaning it up. I just went over to Charlotte today and bought a donor car. Turned out to be a pretty good deal. It had new air shocks, new front suspension, new brakes on the front, strong running 318, and smooth shifting 904 as well. I needed all of those things. Plus, tires have about 85 % tread and a nice set of rally wheels to boot. Looked in the trunk and there was an extra grill and two extra headlight bezels as well. Pics included.

Attachments

• dart front end.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 301
here are the pics of the donor car. Not to bad for 900.00

Attachments

• donor car3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 276
  • donor car2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 299
  • donor car1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 290
Well, it has been forever since I posted. I got a little overwhelmed for a while and had gotten frustrated. I pulled the motor and tranny pulled out the interior. I cut out the floor pan sections (new ones get here today), swapped the front ends from my donor, cleaned up the engine bay and repainted it myself. I pulled out the rear end and cleaned up and repainted.
It is frustrating when you working blind and don't have the know how or someone there with you who does. I hope to get the pan sections in over the next couple weeks and then wait for warmer weather and then por-15 it all. I also hope to get the motor and tranny from my donor car moved over in the next couple of weeks as well. Tomorrow is using the soda blaster to remove the surface rust from the inside of the car. I am trying to do this the right way. Just haven't figured out what the right way is yet!!!:shaking2: I am having fun with it though. Friends ask me when I plan on having it done and just tell them that is should be done about the time my son gets his license. That gives me 11 years. I think that is reasonable!!LOL.

Attachments

• dart engine bay.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 236
  • engine bay before.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 224
  • floor pan.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 196
  • motor pull.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 203
  • photo.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 200
Looks like you have a fairly clean Dart, lots of spare parts now.As for the front bumpers '73-'76 Darts and Dart Sports. Take your time and have fun.

You're making good progress! Don't worry about the time frame. I'm always glad to see someone restoring a 73-76 A Body! Keep up the good work.

looking great the rear bumper is the same as the 1974-1976 valiant/scamps

-
Back