rebuild 1.88 J heads or 2.02 J heads?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I have 1.88 J heads that I was going to have redone to use 2.02 valves.
But, I have an opportunity to get heads that are already 2.02 J heads for $180.00 that need to be redone as well.

Should I get the 2.02 heads have them redone, and sell the 1.88 J heads, or Just Pass on the 2.02 Heads, and rebuild the 1.88 that I have??

I have heard that to have the 1.88 redone might be better because the can be done at exactly 2.02 where the heads that are already 2.02 might end up being a little loose when they are redone. Is there truth to this?

Thanks!

when you have a valve job done it sinks the valve into the head and you lose a bit of flow. that being said installing 2.02's in the 1.88 head will be like have a brand new head as for as flow goes. for 180 bucks you might be able to buy the valves and get the valve job done for a tad more.

Any 360 head can be ported to flow with an X or J head. Even the smog ones.

Check out Indy they have 202 j heads allready to go and they are cheaper than you can have any redone.

Bringing back from the dead... Any other opinions on the right way to go with this?? Thanks!

Bringing back from the dead... Any other opinions on the right way to go with this?? Thanks!

What rear gear and cam you using?

If your using this on the street, and have less than 3.90 gears,
stay with the small valves.

My 2 cents.

Use The Heads You Already Have And Rebuild Them , Buying The Other Heads Will Not Gain You Anything, Only Minus 180 Bucs...since They Both Need Rebuilt........and As Stated; You May Not Want 2.02 Vales , Depending On Your Combo And Gear,--listen And Learn Unless You Have Money To Burn.........................

To the op, the original heads after 2.02's r installed will not flow as good as the factory installed 2.02 version and will take more porting to get to there. Factory 2.02 j heads flow around 225-228 by .500....after cutting for 2.02 in smog heads 'though the same casting' u end up around 205 cfm UNLESS the machinist really opens it up when doing the throat cut. Just my experience with the average shops. So keep that in mind, though if ur gonna port them anyways....just spend the extra money on New valves and use the castings u have and of course port them.

-
Back