Rebuild 8 3/4

-

jakehill

Reaction score
Hi, I have never rebuilt a rear diff. Its an 8 3/4 I would like to re gear it with 3.91 and add a limited slip. I have searched for a rebuild how-to, but nothing. It sounds terrible when I drive. I know its the rear. I cant find a rebuild kit. Any advice for an idiot?

search mopar muscle mag site. they should have a few tech articles on the subject. Their`s plenty people here that have experience, but to get em to chime in?8) e-bay- summit have kits I believe. I`d venture you`ll need a couple specialty tools also. Spanner, indicator, etc

A factory service manual is your friend here. Specialty tools are handy but not absolutely necessary. I've done two in my garage, which is not heavily fortified with specialty tools. A torque wrench, a press, and some sockets will just about do it. Just read the service manual and follow the directions carefully.

How do you set pinion depth without the specialty tool?
...The only way to be sure is with a "pinion depth checker"(unfortunately a specialty tool)... alot of in-experienced guys will just re-use the original pinion shims ...not bad as a starting point...but,that's definetly taking the long & drawn-out way... but not impossible to get right

I use brand new "checking bearings" to do them. The problem was I kept destroying bearings presing them on and off. When I got a job at a truck shop, he turned me on to taknig a new bearing and enlarging the ID so it can be tapped on and off. It can go faster than the fixture if you've got shop air...lol. You'll need a magnetic base dial indicator, a vernier or micrometer, a rotating torque torque wrench (Not the same as a "normal" torque wrench), anda fixture to hold the chuck if it's a "489" and you're using the crush sleeve, which I would advise replacing with the spacer and shims.

I think Randy's ring and pinion sells video's on the subject.

-
Back