Rebuild or buy new?

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
I have a 1973 318 short block all stock disassembled. It's time to either build it up or just buy a new engine all together. My plans for the build would include the machine work to bring up the compression, new pistons, new cam, magnum head conversion with EQ heads, thermoquad carb. My question is with all the machine work and short block assembly would it cost close to the same or even be more economical to just buy an engine already built like a crate 360?

what are your intentions for the car & what is the car? Daily Driver, cruiser, bracket racer?

like wild said u looking to bracket race stripp drag , or little quicker steet car ,or just above stock road car how much you wanna spend 3k,6k 10k
, or money no issue

The car is a 73 scamp, I only plan to use it on the street as a cruiser. I wouldn't pay 10 k for a 360 crate either. If I went the crate route I was looking at cme engines, they have a 360 crate for around $3600 which would also be the budget if I do the 318 build.

X2 on the roller block, or Magnum. People keep asking these questions like they wake up in a new world everyday. Use the search function, please.

IMO There's only one answer for a mild build. V8's have gotten nothing but better with time.

Grab a newer block, hell Magnums don't even need a rebuild below 300k.

Take the pan off, check the bearings and reseal it, check the bore, toss on some heads, intake and a cam regrind and roll that *****.

The End.

X2,on the last post.Haven't seen a better preserved long block,in my life.186 k on it,all bores still have crosshatch.Dropped a cam in,sounds like a 340.

The car is a 73 scamp, I only plan to use it on the street as a cruiser. I wouldn't pay 10 k for a 360 crate either. If I went the crate route I was looking at cme engines, they have a 360 crate for around $3600 which would also be the budget if I do the 318 build.

u could build a 390 for 3600 by using 360 heads, after the rotating assembly u would have 2000 grand + to fool with.

but if u want a magnum, go for it.
People dont realize a good reason why more magnum stuff is being pushed is because the industry see's us running out of 20+ yr old la cores, 360 LA's used to be cheap...but they are getting scarce.
And i have no issue with magnums other than i wouldnt bank on factory magnum heads too much cause more than not they are cracked or will crack, they were run under fuel injection, lean, and when plenum gaskets would go out 'all the time' they would really get lean and ping...then o2 sensors helped that along as well..

The option I took was the Mopar 380/360 shortblock LA version with hyd flat tappet cam. It is a roller block. I put LA heads on it and ran. It was cheaper that rebuilding a shortblock. If I want to go to a roller cam later, the factory lifter hold down bolts right in.

My only contribution here is that a 360 is externally balanced. I believe you'll need to make some changes to balance the Transmission to match it.
If you are planning to race then you need to set a goal and then price out what it will take to reach the goal. ie; If you want a 10 second car in the 1/4 mile your budget better be pretty high. If you want to cruise around with a happy grin on your face you can mildly build the 318.
One thing about the 318 is when you get asked if it's a 340 or a 383.
It would be sweet to be able to say It's a 360 with 425 HP

My only contribution here is that a 360 is externally balanced. I believe you'll need to make some changes to balance the Transmission to match it.
All you need for that is the correct flex plate for the converter. The converter for 318/340 does not have balance weights, 360 does. However you can run a special flex plate, Mopar sells one, that will run 340 converter with 360 external balanced engine. That's what I did. When I swap to 340/416, I just have to change to standard 340 flex plate and use the same converter.

-
Back