Rebuild Power Steering Box

-
Search for my post on rebuilding my pwr gear.

Check rockauto for the Edelmann PN's. There were 2 versions - small sector shaft (63-72) and a big sector shaft (73+) for A, B, & E bodies (I think). C's were always big shaft. The fittings on the valve body & returns also varied, but you will re-use. Best if you have a FSM since the instructions in the kits are hard to read and follow. Main thing is to hold the worm assembly tight together (turn ccw I recall) as you insert it so nothing pops out of place. Other than that, align the Pitmann arm on the slot, and center the valve body once the pump is running so it doesn't "self-steer" (front wheels off ground). Mine works great and no leaks. Good luck getting your gear in and out if a SB early A. Who said only new cars have crowded engine bays?

If you are rebuilding the steering BOX you need a couple specialized tools. The FSM shows using an OLD style weight gauge to set the drag on the torrington thrust bearings that was also used to test the distributor shaft deflection on a points-type distributor. I use a digital fish weighing scale that can weigh in ounces up to 16 pounds. An good inch pounds torque wrench, one that can weigh down as low as 1 inch pound, is also handy. Study the FSM long and hard before deciding to tackle this and make sure you have the proper tools or can improvise them. Years ago the GOOD steering box rebuild kits came with new metal sealing rings, like piston rings with small hooks on the ends, but lately it seems they stopped including them. They are similar to some found in 727 trans rebuild kits.l

I also tried to accurately measure the torque when tightening the nut on the thrust bearings, using a fish-scale, per the FSM photo. I found that even the slightest turn of the nut changed the reading, and staking it changed the load. It is similar to tightening the nut on wheel bearings. I ended up just going by feel - get it tight but not so it causes bearing wear. Like most things in the FSM, the special factory tools aren't usually needed. How many people spent time making a "torsion bar remover" tool as seen in the FSM, only to find they aren't really needed?

-
Back