Rebuilding a 65 273..I need some help.

-
That sounds like a plan. I was where you are now many times with my 273. I finally decided to just rebuild it to close to stock specs and enjoy the ride. It doesn't burn tires for a city block but I am too old for that anyway. It is pretty peppy and get's almost 20mpg on the highway. I have driven it north to Minneapolis numerous times and it has been a good one. I see so many here that overbuild and then don't enjoy the ride anymore. I have friends that have built pretty stout hot rods and they don't drive them much more than 20 miles away from home unless it's in a enclosed trailer. Sorry, not me. Not how I roll.

I have friends that could not cruise with me last summer for the same reasons. That's why I had to have the A-500. with my 3.91 gear and low gears in the trans it should burn rubber and in OD it comes to a 2.70 final ratio. My 1700 to 2100 converter which locks up. I'm hoping for 20 MPG also. I just saw you are also from Iowa. Where? DSM here.

I have friends that could not cruise with me last summer for the same reasons. That's why I had to have the A-500. with my 3.91 gear and low gears in the trans it should burn rubber and in OD it comes to a 2.70 final ratio. My 1700 to 2100 converter which locks up. I'm hoping for 20 MPG also. I just saw you are also from Iowa. Where? DSM here.
Waterloo Do you know Lon @lkopaska? He lives in DSM and is a transmission tech at Sta-Rite across from the fairgrounds. He also has a nice shop at home.

Waterloo Do you know Lon @lkopaska? He lives in town and is a transmission tech at Sta-Rite across from the fairgrounds.

No I don't. I was a mopar c body guy when I was younger and still love them but raising a family took a toll and after a 25 year hiatus i'm back into this and in a 67 cuda La engine. So back to the drawing board for me. I'm dealing with a guy named Kevin in Creston on my transmission build.

No I don't. I was a mopar c body guy when I was younger and still love them but raising a family took a toll and after a 25 year hiatus i'm back into this and in a 67 cuda La engine. So back to the drawing board for me. I'm dealing with a guy named Kevin in Creston on my transmission build.
Sounds good. Keep us posted and don't make yourself a stranger. By the way, Lon has a 67 Barracuda convertible with a 273-4 in it. White with a maroon stripe. Sounds like you two have a lot in common. LOL

Sounds good. Keep us posted and don't make yourself a stranger. By the way, Lon has a 67 Barracuda convertible with a 273-4 in it. White with a maroon stripe. Sounds like you two have a lot in common. LOL

Nice. I been hearing about his car from buddys. They saw it at a small car show up in Altoona. It will be good to lay eyes on it. I'm just getting started on my car. It's pretty solid and I have fixed everything including the air. I got lucky and the engine was rebuilt and has zero blow by and runs great. I plan on taking it apart this next winter and painting it, frame connectors, new converter for the 426 and the 426.

1.500 exhaust valve. I think MoparOfficial ported some heads for someone, Seabee? At one time they might have been available for purchase?

Ok. I started porting heads back in HS for my shop teacher who was a serious drag racer. I still have a nice hard seat grinder kit and an old Sioux valve grinding machine. I have been porting mostly BB Mopar heads. So I'm not new to porting, Not a pro either. But What is it about SS valves that prevents you from needing hardened seats? I have never heard of this.

Ok. I started porting heads back in HS for my shop teacher who was a serious drag racer. I still have a nice hard seat grinder kit and an old Sioux valve grinding machine. I have been porting mostly BB Mopar heads. So I'm not new to porting, Not a pro either. But What is it about SS valves that prevents you from needing hardened seats? I have never heard of this.

The stellite in stock exhaust valves will stick to cast iron or vice versa and act as a rotary file. The stainless steel does not seem to interact the same way. I suppose if you are running high rate springs and high lift cam it would be wise to have hard exhaust seats. I've found I almost always have to replace exhaust valves anyway, So that is what I have been doing. I only know enough to pocket port, match gaskets, cc chambers, unshroud intake valves, and grind valves. But that is plenty quick for an early A body for me. I always ran the best factory head and a 260-270 duration cam so it always worked well for me.

-
Back