rebuilding a power booster

-

Beavis

Reaction score
i am rebuilding my power booster for my 69 dart. any ideas where i can get a rebuild kit ?

is there anything i should know about rebuilding a power booster ?

any and all help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo (24).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 265
I sent mine to Booster Dewey. Maybe he would sell you the parts you need...maybe not. It's worth a try.

There is a place in Sacramento, Ca. I used a few years back with a unit like yours pictured. I think it was called power brake co. or some such title. Google it, they were very helpful and gave me all the right parts cause my diaphram was leaking. It was super easy to install too. They'll provide you with the right "grease" too.

Hey man, honestly you don't need that thing. My brakes are firmer, and way more responsive without it. You could just run your master to the firewall, grab a manual brake push rod and be done. That damn thing takes up so much precious engine bay space. Another option.

I sent mine to Booster Dewey. Maybe he would sell you the parts you need...maybe not. It's worth a try.

I've sent 2 of that style for a rebuild to Booster Dewey and both now look like NOS. Don't know if he'd sell the internal stuff though.

I took apart the booster in my 65 C-body. It had hard, torn rubber in the diaphragm right where the vaccum port sits, otherwise the rubber was soft. I had installed an in-line charcoal filter on the vac hose to stop gas fumes. I searched widely and didn't find anywhere to buy internal parts. I'll try searching for the place in post #3. I ended up buying a roll of neoprene rubber sheet on ebay and replaced the diaphragm rubber myself, using flowable silicone sealant. It didn't have the folds of the original rubber, but worked when tested. However, I never ran it on the car.

I later got a correct booster/MC for only $70 on rockauto clearance (great guys). In the interim, I installed a used 74 Valiant booster by drilling new mount holes in the firewall (other than stud locations looked identical, same Midland-Ross type). After swapping, I sold that one to guy here. On my 65 Dart, I installed a booster from a 99 Breeze on the 74 stand-off brackets/lever.

Was booster Dewey reasonable.sent mine to Columbus brake service with a note not to paint.leave yellow cad alone.came back rebuilt and primed in black.now needs replated

Before I sent mine to Booster Dewey I called and talked with him about my booster including the yellow cad plating. I don't recall the price but when I got them back, they looked like NOS. Check his web site for pricing. When I get to my home computer I'll post some before and after pics.

sent from my iPhone

Dewey replates the housings. Any rust pitting will still be there though.

Before And After ! done by Me !!!

Attachments

• photo_2 (9).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 128
  • photo_1 (10).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 149
Hey Beavis...huh...huh..huh. (couldn't resist! LOL)

So, what did you do to the internals? Where did you get the parts?

My diaophram was in great condition. I needed the aluminum plate between the master cylinder and booster. Got it on eBay. I sandblasted everything else and paint or cleared.

-
Back