rebuilding front disc calipers

-

74valiant

Reaction score
i just rebuilt my rear disc, and it was really simple. just the square seal and the dust boot. when i went to look at rebuilding my front disc there were more parts in the pic at the parts store. what all is involved in rebuilding the front disc brakes??

i just rebuilt my rear disc, and it was really simple. just the square seal and the dust boot. when i went to look at rebuilding my front disc there were more parts in the pic at the parts store. what all is involved in rebuilding the front disc brakes??
Your mention of rear disc only adds to the confusion on this end.
I've never rebuilt a disc. I have rebuilt several different types of calipers though.

74 plymouth valiant stock front disc. not sure on what type they are. as far as the brakes, yes i am looking at how to rebuild the front caliper. the rears are already done, and was really simple. just a square cut circular seal, and the dust boot.. the kit for the front has 4 parts to it i beleive, so it looks as though theres more to it. just wondering...

The 74 Dart Sport I did with my son has what are called sliding calipers. The only parts involved in "rebuilding" them was a new seal and dust boot, just like you described. I'm sure you're not referring to the anti-rattle springs, etc.

The part that is throwing me for a loop is that, as far as I know, 74 Valiants did not have rear disk brakes. Yours must have some that are aftermarket or owner-swapped.

Photos, maybe???

Jerry

67-72 front disc brakes- 4 piston calipers, Kelsey Hayes, SBP

73-76 front disc brakes- Single piston caliper, slider style, BBP

I have a set of Pin Style calipers that the former owner said came from a 73 Dart but I am unsure if they were stock to the Dart or not as I have not seen any other A-Bodies with Pin Style calipers.

Joe

Yep, the fixed caliper-style would have four seals and four dust boots on each side. Is that the parts you saw in the picture? If not, maybe you saw the two retainer clips and two anti-rattle springs that are used on the sliding-type calipers (each side). That would be four pieces. This gets my vote for what you saw.

Jerry

See if this looks like what you saw at the parts house...

Caliper-Sliding.jpg

rear disc are off a 96 grand cherokee. havent installed them yet, just waiting to get the fronts situated till i put them on. ill see if i can get a picture of the kit.

-
Back