Rebuilding my entire front end

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
I want to rebuild my 70 dart custom 4 door front end in original fashion. I don't want high performance or poly. Just plain, old Chrysler. I'm leaning towards all Moog parts. Where is the best price? for a complete front end rebuild. I have a Flaming river steering box and love it. With 160,000 miles, it's due. Should I be concerned about a-arm bushings? or just the steering and ball joint components.
Thanks

Moog = federal mogul = made in China. They moved their Moog mfg there years ago. See this thread for more info:
DANGEROUS PRODUCT = Moog Ball Joints

If you're set on sticking with stock UCAs get the Moog offset bushings, that's your best bet to get more positive caster. The better idea if you aren't concerned about stock is to get tubular UCAs.

I haven't done a front end rebuild in years but have done four (an A, B, C & E body). I was going to recommend PSC (Performance Suspension Components) in Phoenix. AZ but just looked them up and believed they closed. Very sad. This was my go to supplier because at the time, they were the only ones who guaranteed all US made (ex. Moog, TRW, etc.) components. The others could not guarantee it because their kits consisted of a mixture of US and foreign pieces (mostly foreign). We all know that when it comes to suspension parts, the US still dominates in quality.

All I can suggest is to do some shopping around and ask for a guarantee that all of the parts are Moog/TRW, etc. If you are looking at kits, get an itemized parts list to compare each one. The kits use to be very different re: what was included. Ex: Some included inner & outer tie rods while others only included inners. Some included a pitman or idler arm and some included neither. Make sure your comparisons are apples to apples.

As for replacing the control arm bushings, if they don't look like they have every been replaced, I would do it all in one fell swoop. Why have it down again? It sounds like you are willing to throw $ at the Dart so why not do it all and enjoy a nice tight front end (Btw: Are we still talking about cars? ;) and steering from your Flaming River unit. Don't forget to check your pitman & idler arms before ordering. GL.

amazon will have moog. rockauto is nice too but watch the shipping.. i usually get the part numbers from rockauto then order from amazon..:)

Yep. That's the kit. I'll order one. Thanks

As mentioned before, you may want to check all the components in your front end so you can order everything needed at once. FYI: PST uses a lot of Asian made components and will/can not tell you which ones are foreign or domestic. For those ok with that, they might work. Just called them and their marketing statement re: that subject is still the same as years ago. GL.

Be careful.

I rebuilt my front end and bought lower ball joints form a well know supplier.

I had EVERYTHING done and the car was on the ground and I get a certified letter. It was from the supplier, telling me not to use the LBJ's as they could be defective.

I had to stop everything I was doing, pull it back apart, send the junk back and wait for the other parts.

Lowest cost is often a step backwards. Come to think of it, I didn't buy the cheapest ball joints I could find and still got boned.

BTW, if you are going to the suspension, do it all.

Remember too, Moog is still made in USA. It's just like WIX filters. It's gone global. Read the box. It may be USA or somewhere else.

-
Back