rebuilt 318 ignition cuts out

-

Kody meile

Reaction score
hi all, i recently rebuilt a 318 la with a slightly mild ish cam (441 lift) 360 heads, 4 bbl intake edelbrock 1406 carb and a points ignition, the car is a 65 barracuda, anyways when i rev the engine to about 3k rpms, it cuts out like its got a rev limiter, doesnt shut off or anything, happens no matter where i time it, i have the points set to .20, tried 3 coils changed the points nothing seems to change, everything for the ignition system is pretty much stock, any advice would be nice thanks

hi all, i recently rebuilt a 318 la with a slightly mild ish cam (441 lift) 360 heads, 4 bbl intake edelbrock 1406 carb and a points ignition, the car is a 65 barracuda, anyways when i rev the engine to about 3k rpms, it cuts out like its got a rev limiter, doesnt shut off or anything, happens no matter where i time it, i have the points set to .20, tried 3 coils changed the points nothing seems to change, everything for the ignition system is pretty much stock, any advice would be nice thanks
Condensor changed also?
Excessive shaft play ?

What are the timing settings?

Is that with vacuum advance inplay?
What is your total timming at that RPM?

Bet if you pull vacuum hose it will remain running. Bad wire between points and housing.
Halifaxhops will have a replacement.

.20 is almost 1/4". I'm sure you mean .020. A dwell meter is much more accurate.

New points or NORS (older) points? Whats the spring pressure on them? Sounds like point float.

Bet if you pull vacuum hose it will remain running. Bad wire between points and housing.
Halifaxhops will have a replacement.
pulled hose doesnt change anything, wire from coil to points is brand new, the engine runs fine under 3k rpms

OK- this is an old weird problem I have seen -a shorting primary wire! At a certain RPM the advance plate turns enough that the primary wire attached to the points touches the outer housing and shorts out. Check yours.

OK- this is an old weird problem I have seen -a shorting primary wire! At a certain RPM the advance plate turns enough that the primary wire attached to the points touches the outer housing and shorts out. Check yours.
i actually have checked it, everything is fine, i locked locked out the weights too just for the hell of it.

Measure coil+ voltage with key on/ engine stopped, again at idle, again at say 2K and then if you can take a reading near "breakup"

-
Back