Rebuilt 318. Which oil with roller cam.

-

Barra_67

Reaction score
I am having my 318 rebuilt with new rings, bearings, rods, pistons etc....
The engine will have a roller cam installed and I am wondering if a high zinc oil is still required?

The engine will be torque plate honed.

From what I have read it should be run in on dino oil but can't see where zinc plays a part with the roller cam. Once run in on dino oil I assume it is OK to switch to a full synthetic?

I know that the recommend weight of the oil will change with the bearing clearances but can anyone recommend an oil to run the engine in with? Specific "run in oil" or an additive to standard dino oil? Once run in, what type of oil then? High zinc or not? The car will be used in temps from 60F - 95F or there about.

Yes, I will ask this with the engine builder but would like some info prior to this.

I realize peoples opinions will vary greatly with this. I have done some searching but couldn't find much re roller cams.

Use Penrite 10/40 Running in oil. Then switch to Penrite TenTenths if you want the ultimate protection. Zn/Ph are anti scuff agents, & are reqd for many engine parts, not just FT cams/lifters.

If you want more info, ring & ask to speak to the chemist at Penrite in Melbourne. Try doing that with another oil company.....

Use Penrite 10/40 Running in oil. Then switch to Penrite TenTenths if you want the ultimate protection. Zn/Ph are anti scuff agents, & are reqd for many engine parts, not just FT cams/lifters.
Easy for me to get hold of as well.

YOu can run any oil with your roller cam. I preffer mobil one synthetic or Amsoil.

Oil viscosity..well that is another discussion, with multiple contributing factors.

Now that you have a roller cam you don't need high ZDDP. Roller rockers too? How about main and rod bearing clearance? A tighter clearance engine needs thinner viscosity. Looser, heavier weight oil.

-
Back