rebuilt carb

-
Ok, I have a 1970 Dart Swinger, 318 automatic. All stock. Has the BBD 2 barrel. I would have to pump the crap out of it to get it to start. I also did not see a squirt of gas whenever I pressed on the pedal. I talked about it here and advice was the accelerator pump was bad. I had a rebuild kit that I used this weekend. Good news is now all I have to do is give half a pedal when cold and it starts right up. Also when cold when I press the pedal it revs up nice with no backfire through the carb. Oh, when I rebuilt the carb, I noticed the metering rods look pretty used up. And I bent the crap out the pump rod so much that it's nowhere near being how it should be. That's the rod that actually moves the accel pump on the outside. Now when the car gets warm, it is better overall, but stills backfires through the carb. I tried to reset the adjusting screws to where I had them, about 1.5 turns from seated, and I did that real easy so I wouldn't damage them. I was thinking about backing out the adjusters. Do I turn them back and forth listening for the engine to rev up and down, finding the happy medium? Thanks. And the only tune up tool I have is a timing light.

Yes...turn the screws in and out to get the highest RPM setting, but, this only affects the idle. Your backfiring is another problem. Check for vacuum leaks , make sure the metering rods aren't sticking down in the carb, and make sure you're getting enough spark advance. Also, bend that accel rod back to original shape, and confirm you're getting a consistent pump shot.

-
Back