Rebuilt engine 318 Question

-

bengibbard13

Reaction score
My 318 overheated and i blew two of the pistons

Pretty much a lot of money is going to be put into rebuilding that engine

So i thought i would just buy a rebuilt one already, But i have never done this and i was wondering if anyone has ever done this or if anyone has any opinions when purchasing from Ebay or a website

I have a few links you guys can check out
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...tQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_3676wt_1165
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3883wt_1165
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.precisionengine.com/rebuilt-engines/dodge-mopar/index.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------
its a 318 5.2 V8 Mopar for a 1974 Plymouth duster

Also kind of wondering if i would have to rebuild the transmission if im getting a rebuilt motor

Thanks guys for any help, i am very limited to my knowledge of cars, and i am still always learning so much.

the second one looks decent for the price and its in your state he has 100% positive feedback which is a good sign. Should work fine with your currrent transmission.

thanks i really do appreciate your opinion sir

i know rock auto always has the correct part, and they give you 300 back if you send the block in after you receive the new one

i wouldn't buy a motor off ebay even a stock replacement and since your only dealing with a 318 i'd find one local you really don't know what your getting for your money when you buy on ebay and to really know whats in that motor you'd have to pull it a part 318s are common find a low milage dakota or ram probly get a 360 pretty easy if you wanted to up grade or spend a few more dollars and get a jespers rebuilt i know alot of people have had good luck with them

just an after thought how did you take out pistons by overheating the motor are you sure its not just a head gasget problem ? just asking

Personaly, after I take the engine out, disassemble it and take the block and crank to the machinest for a check and possible overbore, I'd go to summit racing for there kit and customize it if need be for only the price difference of the part change. It includes everything except the exact oversize of the pistons and crank bearings, in which you'll know the sizes after you get the parts inspected and worked on from the machinest.

I would add new con rods since there cheaper new than reworking your old ones and have it all balanced. Install it all myself. I followed the book, how to rebuild your small block mopar with excellent results everytime!

the mechanic i work with, i had him take it apart, so he did and took the pistons out and we saw some scoring and marking on where the two pistons blew

the rest were fine,but two of them had some damage on the inside of the block.

i tried having my uncle take it to his mechanic and since the block is in pieces (just the core) he was pretty much saying it would cost to much labor and would run me well past 2000

so i dont know as far as i see it ill probably buy off Rockauto and then send my core to them

-
Back