Rebuilt my 7.25 rear end and bad news....

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My ring and pinion are worn to crap. They will still work for a while. but there is a noise going on back there that i don't like and neither do my girlfriends.

So, i'm looking to replace it as fast as possible. Where do y'all buy these type of parts? Ideally, I'd like to buy a replacement made in a first world country, preferably the US.

Additionally, i had to fanagle some parts together to shim it up to spec. Anyone have a good source for spacer shims for this rear end?

Thanks for any help, i can't take this whiny rear end.

good luck finding new parts for your 7.25 rear end. most people swap out to an 8.25 or 8.75 instead of messing with rebuilding the little one. If that is not an option for you, i've got an exploded one in the backyard that I might be able to take apart for you. it wasn't making noise when I blew it up. I think that the spider gears are toasted in it, I haven't opened it up. I just chucked it out next to the shed and put in an 8.75 instead.
-Tim

In a perfect world, i might swap the rear end. But the fact is that i'm leaving this slant 6 in there as is for the next 10 years at least. So its not like i need a more powerful rear end. Plus i don't have the money, time, or space to swap the rear end.

This thing is a daily driver. And ya, I've done a few google searches and found a few things, i just thought i'd throw it out to y'all guys. See if i can find some high quality parts out there. I don't want to get stuck with cheap chinese parts or something and have this problem again in a few years. Or worse yet, change out the ring and pinion and still have a whine.

3.90 and 4.11 probably will no do. This car is for gas mileage and highway speeds. So I'm thinking 2.93? Thats the lowest one i've found. Is there much diff between that and a 3.21 gear ratio?

I might have a line on a whole 7 1/4 for you here locally. It came out of my 66 Dart and should have only 49,000 original miles on it.

It was in my Duster when I sold it last month but I know the guy and I am sure he is not going to keep it.

Interested? I have the time, space and access to a trailer.

Is your car an Auto, or 3 on the tree? What ratio is in it now?

If no tag on the housing, it is stamped into the ring gear.

Yup automatic. Someone told me to check for the ratio on the ring, but only after i had bolted it all back together, so i don't know my current ratio, but i'm sure its designed for the highway and not power, so thats why i guess something like 3.21 or 2.93.

I like the low RPMs on the highway and i rarely need to accerlate in my little slant 6, so either of those ratios wouldn't bother me.

As for the whole 7.25 rear end, that would be great, if only i had a garage here. But all i have is my one parking space here at an apartment. I can't really do a major job like that nor can i store something like that. Thanks for the offer though.

years ago i changed a rear in a duster in a parking lot in the winter17 degrees outside because thats all i had and wanted to drive to work. you can do it if you want too

"I like the low RPMs on the highway and i rarely need to accerlate in my little slant 6, so either of those ratios wouldn't bother me."

Hey! dn't down the slant!! haha but if i were u i wouldn't run a 2.93 gear. see gear gets u moving, and tire height gives u final rpm. so u can go to a "better" gear like a 3.55 or 3.23 and then just run a taller tire. there are converters on randys gear site.

As for the whole 7.25 rear end, that would be great, if only i had a garage here. But all i have is my one parking space here at an apartment. I can't really do a major job like that nor can i store something like that. Thanks for the offer though.

Your welcome but I was talking about doing it here in my garage. If it is not drivable, I was going to come and get it with the trailer. Should only take a couple of hours and you can drive it home.

The guy with the rear never called me back, but if you can find one we can get it changed. Just let me know if I can help. Two one zero, two three two seven four one seven.8)

I've got one that needs a wheel bearing, but it's going to be under the car until spring and it's in CT...lol.

Your welcome but I was talking about doing it here in my garage. If it is not drivable, I was going to come and get it with the trailer. Should only take a couple of hours and you can drive it home.

The guy with the rear never called me back, but if you can find one we can get it changed. Just let me know if I can help. Two one zero, two three two seven four one seven.8)
If the guy ever calls back, I sure could use the rear end for my son's Duster. (Flower Mound , Texas ) [email protected]

I have a working 7 1/4 out of a 72 scamp it has about 100k on it but the gears look fine. If your interested Pm me.

-
Back