Rebuilt TQ Carb

-

dusterny

Reaction score
Summit has rebuilt TQ 1436 carbs for sale for about 250 dollars. Has anyone used one of these and are they worth the money? My 360 is very mild steet engine which will not see any track time. Also how hard are they to tune?

I would not get one, i hear a lot of mismatched tops/bowls/throttle plates. and rods ect.. i would get a good complete pre 1975 t-quad and rebuild it yourself ,they are very easy to rebuild.

summit stands behind what they selll,, ide give it a try,,these are great carbs,,,work very well if the rear air door is adjusted properly,, great mileage,,,when your foot is not to the floor,,,and some big rear secondaries,,,kick it to the floor sounds like your trying to suck the hood off the car,,

For the same money, Demonsizzler will custom build one, jetted to your application, and then help you adjust it. I suggest doing your homework on the carb, it works GREAT on my 408, pushed it to 12.13 @ 110 in my 3400 lb duster, with a motor that had serious blow by issues.

Great carb, excellent throttle response!

id go to someone like demonsizzler or try and find a used one in nice shape...those reman tq's summit sells look nice, but i have heard too many bad stories from those who bought them, didnt work right or with bad/faulty parts and called summit who didnt really know much about their problem or how to help

Another Demonsizzler vote. I'd spend the $30 - $50 for a core and send it off to DS with your engine/cam specs. For that price you can have one tuned for your build and pretty much slap it on out of the box. I had DS rebuild mine for a modified 360 in a ramcharger - bolted it on out of the box and the thing was just awesome.

i didnt know any one specialized in TQ carbs,,if he rebuilts and tunes them for the same money ,then its a no brainer,,glad to see some one taking intrest in these carbs,, most people didnt understand them, and there fore disposed of them,,
i often wondered why carter/edelbrlock has not re-produced them for restoration needs,, GREAT carb

Heres his site; http://thermoquads.com/
He has a few ready to go.

Tuning the T-Q is made easy if all the adjustments are correctly done. It is a tempermental carb if the adjustmenst are out of wack. A real pain.
However, once you have all the adjustment points correct, it runs fine.

I get alot of flak from freinds and board members about running a T-Q. Since I'm not made of money and never really had a whole lot to spare, I often made due with what ever I had or could get on the cheap and learned it.

I also see it this way, for a 20 -50 buck carb at a swap meet, a 35 buck rebuild kit, it's a great bang for the buck. The carb is an excellent street strip carb that can perform very well.

The hardest thing about a T-Q besides getting to know a new carb style is getting a tuning kit for them.
There rods are shorter than the AFB/AVS carbs. By approx. 3/4 of an inch. I get alot of flak for this recomendation, but, bend and clip the AFB rods to fit so you can tune it.

Be exacting when you bend the rod!

I put the rods in a vise, both at the same time (AFB and T-Q) side by side and then match it up.
The T-Q rods are 3 step while the AFB's are 2 step.
AVS rods are 3 step, but I never paid attention to the exact step lengths.

Heres his site; http://thermoquads.com/
He has a few ready to go.

Tuning the T-Q is made easy if all the adjustments are correctly done. It is a tempermental carb if the adjustmenst are out of wack. A real pain.
However, once you have all the adjustment points correct, it runs fine.

I get alot of flak from freinds and board members about running a T-Q. Since I'm not made of money and never really had a whole lot to spare, I often made due with what ever I had or could get on the cheap and learned it.

I also see it this way, for a 20 -50 buck carb at a swap meet, a 35 buck rebuild kit, it's a great bang for the buck. The carb is an excellent street strip carb that can perform very well.

The hardest thing about a T-Q besides getting to know a new carb style is getting a tuning kit for them.
There rods are shorter than the AFB/AVS carbs. By approx. 3/4 of an inch. I get alot of flak for this recomendation, but, bend and clip the AFB rods to fit so you can tune it.

Be exacting when you bend the rod!

I put the rods in a vise, both at the same time (AFB and T-Q) side by side and then match it up.
The T-Q rods are 3 step while the AFB's are 2 step.
AVS rods are 3 step, but I never paid attention to the exact step lengths.

there has not been a strip kit for the T-Q in years,,bending the afb rods is a killer idea,,thats what hot rodding is all about,,,

Thanks FF66. Everyonce in awhile, if your lucky, you'll catch a old and sometimes un-opened T-Q strip kit on E-bay. They seem to fetch approx. $200 - $250 for a never opened box.

Thanks FF66. Everyonce in awhile, if your lucky, you'll catch a old and sometimes un-opened T-Q strip kit on E-bay. They seem to fetch approx. $200 - $250 for a never opened box.

Just make sure the jets will work in your carb, the comp series are a little different from the post 72 production carbs. I have about 5 spare TQ's I have bought on e-bay, carefully researching the part numbers, rods and jets. I have made my own strip kit, with 4 sets of primaries, 4 sets of secondaries, 4 acel pump nozzles, and 5 sets of rods!

you can also drill jets and pump nozzles out, get the nozzles and jets out of JY buy the right bits and go for it.

you can also drill jets and pump nozzles out, get the nozzles and jets out of JY buy the right bits and go for it.

Exactly what I did. I even had Demonsizzler drill out the needle seats for freer fuel flow, to the size that was in the strip kits. I have the following:

ScreenHunter_01 Nov. 25 20.21.jpg

-
Back