Recently bought a 65 Dart Wagon

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
Hi, I just got a 65 Dart wagon about a month ago. It has a Slant 6, one barrel. It has a 4 speed manual on the floor, I was told from a 69. A 69 what I am not sure. I do not have any pics yet.
I am in the LA area. Planning on going to the Fall Fling tomorrow. See if I can find a few things for my interior. And maybe a new shift lever for that 4 speed. I have a bench and the lever is a straight Hurst that hits the ashtray when I put it in 1st.

Welcome to FABO and a great choice of cars! I have a 65 Dart wagon as well. 65 V8's and slants could have been ordered with a 4 speed. If yours has the ball and trunnion rather than a u joint on the front of the driveshaft, it is most likely original to the car.

I was told it was not original, and I guessed with the wacky shift lever set up it was not. But I will get under it and check. Not much room under there though with it on the stock 13s in front. It has 14s in the rear.
I already replaced the thermostat, waterpump and radiator myself.
I found the info here that I could put in a new radiator for a 70 with new hoses, and it fit great. None of the radiator guys had a clue, but the people here know their stuff.

Welcome aboard...65's rock..how much slop is in the shifter? Might need bushings in the linkage to tighten it up so it doesn't hit the ashtray.

A /6 4speed wagon!!! Not a really common combo! My father-in-law special ordered a 76 Aspen wagon with the super 6 and 4speed OD, B5 blue. Wife drove it to college 20 years ago and it's still being driven by migrant workers around Muscatine IA to this day (she looks for it every time she goes home). I'll probably end up buying it back once it's totally rusted and worn out.

I'm partial to 65's so post up some pics.

Welcome aboard...65's rock..how much slop is in the shifter? Might need bushings in the linkage to tighten it up so it doesn't hit the ashtray.

Hi,
The shifter feels pretty solid. I think I need a different stick. The one on there looks a lot like this. I was at Fall Fling this weekend. I was hoping to see a lot more pre 67 A Bodies there. Very few A Bodies or parts for them actually. No A Body Wagons. There were a few nice early Barracudas though. And a really nice C Body Wagon, A 62 Dart actually.

I did pick up 4 new wheels and tires, all the same size. They are just 13s off of a Valiant but they are really clean.
Is there anyone in Southern Californians here who might want 2 13s and 2 14s both 5x4? I am looking for some dog dish hubcaps now.

3917960.jpg

Welcome to FABO! Sounds like you need a bent stick like I have so you dont bash your knuckles on the dash.

DartInterior.jpg

I was told it was not original, and I guessed with the wacky shift lever set up it was not. But I will get under it and check. Not much room under there though with it on the stock 13s in front. It has 14s in the rear.
I already replaced the thermostat, waterpump and radiator myself.
I found the info here that I could put in a new radiator for a 70 with new hoses, and it fit great. None of the radiator guys had a clue, but the people here know their stuff.

Welcome to this great site timbolia :cheers: I found this site looking for part's and what all will interchange in a 63 Valiant :-D
I found all the help I ever need here.
Get ready to be hooked and enjoy some of the best of the best tec's out there along with some great folks.:-D
You have a 65 Dart wagon :tongue9: What a great find :cheers:
Keep us updated and take a look around this great site :-D

A friend of mine got the 4speed setup out of a 66? Valiant wagon at a pick a part about 10 years ago. I think it may have been a V-8 even. Shame it was in the yard.

I'm sure he sold the 4 speed stuff years ago though.

I think that is exactly what I need! I might have found it here someone had one from a Barracuda.

I can't seem to find my camera. I took some before shots and some work in progress shots (water pump, radiator, seat cover)
I already bought some bucket seats though, I was planning on getting rid of the bench. I am short and the seat was hitting the shifter when I put it up enough for me to get the clutch all the way in. Also a talll passenger will not have to suffer this way either. Not that I see any 6 foot blonde passengers in my future, but why rule it out?

Welcome to FABO! Sounds like you need a bent stick like I have so you dont bash your knuckles on the dash.

got any pics of your wagon? i love 4 speed cars with bench seats

I found my camera! I have a few pics from when I first got the Wagon about a month or so ago. Should I post my progress here or should I start a restoration thread?

Here is one pic to just see if I have the sizing right.

-
Back