Recipe Section ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I'm sure there are lot of us that are not mechanics and do respect the knowledge of some of you that are real mechanics. Sometimes i try and plan a build on a motor that will produce a certain amount of horse power but don't really know what components to use to achive my desired build. We all know you need a block to start with but it takes a whole lot more than that. It would be nice if one could go to a place, website, or section here and pull up a recipe on a build that would give him the HP he was wanting to have in the end. Any sites like that that you guys know of? For instance. If i were wanting to build a 500 horse 440, what components do i need? What bore, cam, pistons, head prep, valves,,,,,,,you get my drift. Where do i go?

A simple Desktop Dyno 2000 program available at most Autozones is the best simulator I know of.

Otherwise, I observe many other peoples setups, ask questions where I need to be filled in, and gauge my vehicles' performance by either a timeslip or a small pull along side a solid benchmarked car.

For instance....Naturally Aspirated engines....generally speaking...require 9.5:1 Compression a camshaft with more than 264* of duration and lift of over .450" to obtain 1hp/c.i. with adequate fuel distribution and a free flowing exhaust system.

All engines are comparitive to Air Pumps. Air+Fuel=Hp/Tq, the more air and fuel you get in/out the more power you make.

I like Desktop Dyno for plugging in different values and seeing how it affects the curves.

-
Back