Recommend me a rebuild kit for my 42rh

-

ike61

Reaction score
Howdy. Looking for a quality rebuild kit for my 42rh. I already have a transgo shift kit. Trans is going in a 76 dart swinger with a 300 horsepower 360. Thanks

Sorry. Then get the deluxe kit for the 42rh. Have used one of those also.

Howdy. Looking for a quality rebuild kit for my 42rh. I already have a transgo shift kit. Trans is going in a 76 dart swinger with a 300 horsepower 360. Thanks
I don't know your exact location, but Transtar has a warehouse in Minneapolis. You can get all the parts needed there, and unlike ordering from others, you will actually talk to some one with transmission knowledge. With a 300 HP 360, I can't see any reason to go with HP internals. There are for the years 1988 to 1996 electrical components you should consider replacing. If you know the year of the transmission let me know and I can tell you what they are. In the overdrive section, there is the overdrive clutch control spring you will encounter. It's a heavy duty spring, and unless you have the right equipment, releasing this spring will be hazardous to your well being. Also, keep in mind that Chrysler changed the overdrive planetary for a 22.5 degree angle tooth pitch to a 15 degree tooth pitch. The first design was weak and caused problems, hence the design change. A complete kit that includes the O/D sun gear, O/D planetary and the o/d ring gear would be available from transtar. Very few times when I worked in the transmission industry did a shop do a rebuild on either the A500 or the A518 series with out ordering the updated kit.

I don't know your exact location, but Transtar has a warehouse in Minneapolis. You can get all the parts needed there, and unlike ordering from others, you will actually talk to some one with transmission knowledge. With a 300 HP 360, I can't see any reason to go with HP internals. There are for the years 1988 to 1996 electrical components you should consider replacing. If you know the year of the transmission let me know and I can tell you what they are. In the overdrive section, there is the overdrive clutch control spring you will encounter. It's a heavy duty spring, and unless you have the right equipment, releasing this spring will be hazardous to your well being. Also, keep in mind that Chrysler changed the overdrive planetary for a 22.5 degree angle tooth pitch to a 15 degree tooth pitch. The first design was weak and caused problems, hence the design change. A complete kit that includes the O/D sun gear, O/D planetary and the o/d ring gear would be available from transtar. Very few times when I worked in the transmission industry did a shop do a rebuild on either the A500 or the A518 series with out ordering the updated kit.
The trans is a 1993

-
Back