Recommendations: bellhousing dowel pins - for a LA360 to 904

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am getting ready for an engine/transmission swap. The motor is a LA360 which will be mated up to a 904.

I am having trouble finding the correct dowel pins to use. What is everybody else using?

Would Moroso 37932 work?

thanks
james

Do not use generic ones that say.500 inches. They will not fit.
You should indicate that trans housing to that block. Try to find some offset dowels from Mopar or Mancini. They will be the correct size
And the offset ones will allow you to correct alignment if it's out excessively.

As long as the engine hasn't been line bored a bunch the stock factory dowel pins will work fine
I cannot disagree with you that stock dowel pins will work. They will.
What I was trying to emphasize is that in my experience any time you mate a trans and block together for the first time you should indicate the trans bell housing. My current motor trans combo was out .015 thou. Yes it was line bored but the block was not out vertically even on both sides. It required an offset dowel only on one side to bring the runout down too .001 though.
Chrysler dowel pins measure some weird size like .497
That is only .003 thou smaller than .500 dowels which are available every where.
But in a press fit situation that .003 difference will not go in.
I would use the stock ones if the bell housing measurement dictates it. If the bell housing needs correcting I would try to find the Mopar offset dowels that fit the hole size properly and correct the alignment. IMHO

I don't know if they are still available; from Mopar Performance Catalog: RWD offset clutch housing dowel package, P/N: P4120383; Mancinni has dowel pins

I just bought some from
Welcome to RobbMc Performance Products
and they fit perfectly!!!
I went to that company's web page to look. Never heard of them before. Anyways yes if you look at the diameter of the dowel for Mopar, they are indeed listed as .496 like I posted earlier.
Generic .500 for chev will not fit. These should work perfectly.

I cannot disagree with you that stock dowel pins will work. They will.
What I was trying to emphasize is that in my experience any time you mate a trans and block together for the first time you should indicate the trans bell housing. My current motor trans combo was out .015 thou. Yes it was line bored but the block was not out vertically even on both sides. It required an offset dowel only on one side to bring the runout down too .001 though.
Chrysler dowel pins measure some weird size like .497
That is only .003 thou smaller than .500 dowels which are available every where.
But in a press fit situation that .003 difference will not go in.
I would use the stock ones if the bell housing measurement dictates it. If the bell housing needs correcting I would try to find the Mopar offset dowels that fit the hole size properly and correct the alignment. IMHO

Ok. The only time I have ran into one that was out enough to cause a problem was with my 360 block that had apparently been line bored .015". So every time you mate a different transmission to an engine you disassemble the trans (automatic) and indicate it? Wow! Never heard of anyone doing it every time. According to Mopar specs up to .005" runout is ok (although I like to see it far less). I agree that you should do it with aftermarket bellhousings but not with every automatic (not doubting you, just never heard of it)

Ok. The only time I have ran into one that was out enough to cause a problem was with my 360 block that had apparently been line bored .015". So every time you mate a different transmission to an engine you disassemble the trans (automatic) and indicate it? Wow! Never heard of anyone doing it every time. According to Mopar specs up to .005" runout is ok (although I like to see it far less). I agree that you should do it with aftermarket bellhousings but not with every automatic (not doubting you, just never heard of it)
Not saying it s done. I am saying it should be done. Most guys don,t rebuild there own trans , so that prevents it from being done right there. It has always been recommended right in the Mopar chassis book.

-
Back