Recommendations for 1970 LA 360 Rebuild

-

SirFartsALot

Reaction score
I ultimately want to replace my 273 in my 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet with a 1970 early La 360 that with J heads that I have to rebuild. Here are the general plans for it and I would like your input... {360 rebuild with Forged Crank, Lighter rods and Aftermarket Windage tray. 9.8 to 1 aftermarket flat top pistons (make sure that they are lighter than stock). Heads are "J" castings with 2.02" intake and 1.60" exhaust, competition valve job, lightly bowl prepped, with porting of the heads. Intake is a refurbished 5884 Offenhauser 360, carb is a Holley 4150 style 750 cfm carb. TTI undercar headers for a 1966 Plymouth Valiant. Use either the Edelbrock Performer #7177 or the #2177 whichever one will work the best.} What do you all think about this combination for my car?

Just blueprint a 340 in every respect except the cubes.

360 in a Valiant is a tire fryer...........

You didn't list a cam or tranny...not a big deal just the info would be nice for evaluation purposes.....IMOP don't waste your time/money on a forged crankshaft, you don't need it (you may want it but I can think of other wants that are more meaningful) a KB 107 piston will work, Scat, Eagle, Ohio crank shaft have connecting rods.....don't get hung up on weight, yes lite is nice but it is not the be all end all. I favor balancing internally, others don't.........when I balanced my 360 foggy memory says it took 3 slugs of Mallory and I payed $275.00 to for everything, prices vary.

Good luck, have fun

I wouldn't push the CR unless the cam requires it. More than likely 9:1 would be better for a good street engine.

No need for a forged crank stock is plenty strong! Forged crank is overkill in this application. Also like 273 mentions compression is better on the conservative side. Unless you go big on cam then higher compression is needed.

So your plan is to buy a crank rods and pistons? I would get a scat cast 4 inch rotating assembly, with the icon dished piston. Summit has it for $1334.97 unbalanced. 408 ci

-
Back