recommendations for electric impact- light use and best price

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a good 1/2 compact air tool for heavy duty, just want something for light use taking stuff apart and back together.
I am thinking $100-$150??
I don't want junk but at my age it may not need to last that long!!!! lol

Nobody will like it, but.....
I've got a corded harbor freight. No complaints, I use it ten times more often than my air impact, and it was dirt cheap.

I have a Kobalt 1/2" impact that I bought on sale at Lowes. It has always done everything I've put it to with no problems, it even came with 6 point impact sockets.

I have the Ryobi 1/2 and 3/8 drive and used them to rebuild my front suspension and it takes wheels off with ease too. I went with the Ryobi mainly because my cordless tool line is all Ryobi because from garden tools to regular they all share the same battery platform. I wouldn't recommend them for professional use but are great for home use.

That's why I went with Ridgid, I wanted them to share batteries(lifetime warranty ad well). I also have a sawzall, and handheld wet/dry vac. Next is circular saw. I save $$ with my tools, they dont make me $$, but pricing/warranty/batteries was good enough for me. I also looked at Ryobi and was tempted.
I have the Ryobi 1/2 and 3/8 drive and used them to rebuild my front suspension and it takes wheels off with ease too. I went with the Ryobi mainly because my cordless tool line is all Ryobi because from garden tools to regular they all share the same battery platform. I wouldn't recommend them for professional use but are great for home use.

That's why I went with Ridgid, I wanted them to share batteries(lifetime warranty ad well). I also have a sawzall, and handheld wet/dry vac. Next is circular saw. I save $$ with my tools, they dont make me $$, but pricing/warranty/batteries was good enough for me. I also looked at Ryobi and was tempted.
I sold a ton of Dewalt on the tool truck because of those very reasons. I was always there for warranty or repairs and most of the tools share the same batteries. I sold a butt load of "tool only" for those guys that had a few chargers and a bunch of good batteries.

I use the dewalts professionally. Still have 18Volts that won't die.
I've dropped dewalts 3 stories and picked em up and kept using them.
Some I have actually broken and some have had parts wear out, just took other broken ones apart and swapped parts and I seem to always put one together with two broken ones.
Not a huge "fan" of dewalt as they bought out several brands that I used for many years. At least they are buying out quality companies and using their designs.
I've had milwaukees and makita's. Swore by the milwaukees but in the long run Dewalts just beat out the other brands due to the fact that they are still on the jobsite and still being used daily. Millions and millions of screws per impact.
Also, dewalt has more tools than any other brand. More battery sizes, for when your ready to use the higher end tools. IE Chopsaw, circular saw, chain saw, Dewalt has every tool on the market available.
Not sure about lawn mowers.

I admit I have NO battery driven tools. Like said I have a good 1/2 in air impact.
Seem like what I see in battery impacts is either 1/4 or 1/2. Looks like a 3/8 would be common.
Headed to Lowe's or Home Depot next week when we go to the city.

I also have the Harbor Freight 1/2" impact which is a corded heavy pig but it got the job done ok.

Really wanted a cordless setup, as I work on a lot of dirt bikes and all around town, so had been looking for a while. Ended up having one of the DeWalt 1/4" 20v Atomic impacts almost fall in to my lap dirt cheap. While not the most powerful or feature laden one out there it will remove lug nuts off my Dakota if I want it to. Have used it on a lot of home projects so far (shelving, hanging cabinets, etc) and it doesn't break a sweat. I think it's more powerful than the cheap corded Harbor Freight 1/2" tool and probably only a 1/5 of the weight! I'll still keep the HF one as a backup only now.

I’ve got a 20V DeWalt 1/2” impact, it’s a DCF880H. So not an XR or anything. I think I’ve had it at least 6-7 years now, it’s never had an issue and all of my original batteries still work great.

I use DeWalt for all my battery tools, makes it easy because I have a half a dozen batteries of varying amp hours so I never have to worry about not having one charged and ready. I also have a 20v drill, 1/4” driver, 4.5” grinder, sawzall, string trimmer, leaf blower and hedge trimmer. They all work great. The XR stuff is definitely nicer, about half my stuff is XR. But so far I haven’t had an issue with any of it.

-
Back