Recommendations for New Fuel Tank

-

Coolvibes

Reaction score
Took the fuel tank out to paint the bottom of the car, but heard hard objects sloshing around. Looks like rust inside, and lots of buildup. Seen new tanks advertised online for about $200, so I am thing of purchasing rather than trying to unsuccessfully clean the tank. Anyone bought one of these new tanks? Any seller recommendations? Any way to treat a new tank to prevent corrosion / build up?

I ask this because in prior years I had old 1960s Volvos, and even after sitting for a while, the inside of the fuel tanks were like new. Not sure if those were aluminum and the Darts are steel.

Thanks much, It's cold in sunny SoFlo today.........

Go stainless steel.

What kind of car do you have?

Took the fuel tank out to paint the bottom of the car, but heard hard objects sloshing around. Looks like rust inside, and lots of buildup. Seen new tanks advertised online for about $200, so I am thing of purchasing rather than trying to unsuccessfully clean the tank. Anyone bought one of these new tanks? Any seller recommendations? Any way to treat a new tank to prevent corrosion / build up?

I ask this because in prior years I had old 1960s Volvos, and even after sitting for a while, the inside of the fuel tanks were like new. Not sure if those were aluminum and the Darts are steel.

Thanks much, It's cold in sunny SoFlo today.........

You can get this fuel tank from Nappa Autoparts,

Part # SPT-CR11C

I have one in my car and its supposedly made by the same manufactuter that produced them when the car was new.

Company name was SPECTRA

Looks and fits the same as the old tank. Also, mine came with a lock ring that was identical to the old one and that worked and sealed perfectly.

I got one from AMD when they had a closeout, IIRC it was 36 bucks! They had 2 models the only difference was the flange on the filler neck but either could work with their correct gaskets. You can take your tank out, fill with a lb of rocks and tie it to a cement mixer, that was my favorite method I saw. Our gas today is more hygroscopic so it draws in water. Use Stabil or other fuel stabilizer in it.

IMO- if you think you want a new one, grab it. If not, you may pay $200. just in headaches later.

Shame they don’t make rotationally molded polypropylene plastic tanks like they make for 80’s on dodge pickup trucks.

I am very happy with the Tanks Inc. tank I got for my '67 Barracuda last year.

I have the Spectra, but they're a couple different models. Fit perfect

Tanks,inc, or Spectra. If you can, save your old fuel sending unit. The new ones suck. And re use your original lock ring. The new ones don't seal well.

My Tanks Inc. tank came with a sending unit that is nothing like the original, but works with the factory gauge.

Spectra here for the 69 Barracuda. It fit perfect. Make sure you get that tar paper stuff that goes on top of the tank. And you might consider getting a new strap/bolt setup. Stainless steel if you can.

Spectra here for the 69 Barracuda. It fit perfect. Make sure you get that tar paper stuff that goes on top of the tank. And you might consider getting a new strap/bolt setup. Stainless steel if you can.

The material on top of the tank is a tank mat, made by DMT . I bought one, fits and looks perfect. Fantastic company to deal with, great service!!

The material on top of the tank is a tank mat, made by DMT . I bought one, fits and looks perfect. Fantastic company to deal with, great service!!
Thanks. I could not remember the proper name, and 'tar paper stuff' is all I could think of. I have been to Canada dozens of times. My oldest daughter lives just north of Toronto. I don't know how big Newfoundland is, but have you ever met the Fitzee guy who has the YouTube channel Fitzee's Fabrications? If you have never watched it, you have to give it a try. He is an expert at repairing rust, and I have learned a lot from him. I good first one to watch is from about two years ago on taking the gas door out of the side of a pickup bed. He uses this method called Cut and Butt that works great.

Thanks. I could not remember the proper name, and 'tar paper stuff' is all I could think of. I have been to Canada dozens of times. My oldest daughter lives just north of Toronto. I don't know how big Newfoundland is, but have you ever met the Fitzee guy who has the YouTube channel Fitzee's Fabrications? If you have never watched it, you have to give it a try. He is an expert at repairing rust, and I have learned a lot from him. I good first one to watch is from about two years ago on taking the gas door out of the side of a pickup bed. He uses this method called Cut and Butt that works great.

No problem HarrisonM !

Yes , I know Fitz. He is very well known in the Newfoundland Muscle and Antique car world.

He is extremely gifted in metal work anf fabricating as you can see on his YouTube channel.

Some of his personal cars are a wonder to see, especially the "Flat Liner"

I have a spectra in my 69 Fish, nothing but Non-E has been in it. Very Pleased.

If you were on the left coast I'd give you my old 65 one, its fine. I just jumped on the AMD when it went on sale.

-
Back