Reconditioning Brake Lines

-
Ironracer, sounds like a fuel bike.
Not much Different than Yours..
.010 over Forged Manley pistons, .565 cams, S@S intake and a Super B, drag pipes, heads are Beyond ported.... Kibblewhite Black Diamond oversize valves.... yeah it is very smart I had a picture of them with me holding them up to the Sun and you can basically look straight through them...

20220619_195637.jpg

20220826_015723.jpg

I took everyone's best advice and chunked the old lines. I bought new ones from The Right Stuff. I just got them unpacked and uncoiled and they seem to be spot on when comparing to the bends in the old lines. The set even has a break in the front to rear line for the installation of the manual proportioning valve. Also came with a full set of clips and screws.

20221112_101819.jpg

20221112_101823.jpg

20221112_101832.jpg

20221112_101844.jpg

20221112_101916.jpg

20221112_101858.jpg

20221112_101901.jpg

20221112_101904.jpg

20221112_101908.jpg
I forgot to order the new block at the same time, so now I'm waiting on that to finish install.

What brake fluid do you intend to use? DOT 4 or 5?

What brake fluid do you intend to use? DOT 4 or 5?
I hadn't even gotten far enough along to consider that question before I started this thread, but from the replies that I've gotten it sounds like DOT 5 is the way to go.

These lines are all SS also. The whole set with tax and shipping was $217.

I don't know, i like working on the car and enjoy restoring parts.
Always bent my own lines. It's not difficult and doing this stuff yourself is gratifying...but not
everybody likes doing that kind of thing.
Maybe i'm weird.
As for the brake fluid i've always just used DOT 3

I don't know, i like working on the car and enjoy restoring parts.
Always bent my own lines. It's not difficult and doing this stuff yourself is gratifying...but not
everybody likes doing that kind of thing.
Maybe i'm weird.
As for the brake fluid i've always just used DOT 3
I admit to needing to do more research on the brake fluid issue.

I enjoy fabricating and inovating also. But at this point, I'm committed to doing what I can to expedite this project. It's been in my shop for WAAAAAY too long.

On the Internet, Quick Silver seems to be the least expensive. DOT 4 or 5 will work, 4 will strip the paint from your firewall if your master ever leaks, the 5 won't. As always, your choice. Sounds like you are on your way.

I wish you luck with the s/s lines. The flares are very hard and so are also hard to get seated/sealed. The standard lines work the best.
Aren't you glad you didn't spend a lot of time trying to "restore" the old lines ?

#33. He is correct about setting the lines. Several snap tight actions are required, be diligent and check all connnections for leaks several days apart.

DOT5 fluid for the win. Doesn't turn into a rusty sticky mess over time. Doesn't absorb water. Doesn't hurt your paint. Won't knock up your daughter or steal your newspaper every damn Sunday. It's the best.

Looks like there may 2 sources cheaper than Quick Silver. Depending on where you buy and of course shipping. Get more than one.

I wish you luck with the s/s lines. The flares are very hard and so are also hard to get seated/sealed. The standard lines work the best.
Aren't you glad you didn't spend a lot of time trying to "restore" the old lines ?
Yeah, I'm very happy not to have to worry about the old lines flushing little bits of junk through the system or leaking down through a little crack somewhere. Infinitley happier to have the new lines.

I've read a lot of cautions about using the SS fitting, and since these were flaired by the manufacturer I'm fairly confident of the outcome. I bought these from The Right Stuff, but Inline Tube has some videos on their site regarding installation.

-
Back