Reconditioning Factory AC Outlets

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
20230725_174614.jpg

Have any of you ever done one of these before? I thought I would take everything down to the barest component and recondition them since the old ones were so nasty. The one on the bottom is as assembled, i.e. I never took it apart. The other one is a pile of pieces that it will take way more dexterity than I have to put it back together...SO many pins, holes, keepers, swivels, etc., etc., etc. I can see from the whole one how it is supposed to fit together, but I can't make all the holes line up with all of the pins on three separate rows all at the same time.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: At this point, I'm just thankful that I still have at least one still assembled so I have an idea at least as to how its supposed to go together.

If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears.

louvers are equally spaced. Measure and cut a comb like fixture in wood. Not that I've done this exact chore before.

Yeah I have the same setup and it does look tedious. I believe @Jim Kueneman has taken them apart before.
Would a magnet help?
A magnet might help where there is iron but those louvers are pot metal. Many I have seen were pitted badly. The pins that mount them are small as sewing needles and will snap right off.
I discovered long ago that the black plastic louver sections from the later model will interchange.
Best plan in my opinion is buy a later model part and have a go at the DIY chroming paint. I watched a video recently of a guy doing side by side comparisons of 6 to 10 (I forget) different products. Top 3 finishes were so good that only factors remaining were cost and/or availability.

Oh they are bear. I had some 3M vinyl tape 1/8” wide that helps. If you want you can ship it to me and I’ll put to back together

Last edited:
Oh that is a '67 one they are easy.... the '66 ones don't have that center section with the screw for the top plate they have another vane! :rofl:

A magnet might help where there is iron but those louvers are pot metal. Many I have seen were pitted badly. The pins that mount them are small as sewing needles and will snap right off.
I discovered long ago that the black plastic louver sections from the later model will interchange.
Best plan in my opinion is buy a later model part and have a go at the DIY chroming paint. I watched a video recently of a guy doing side by side comparisons of 6 to 10 (I forget) different products. Top 3 finishes were so good that only factors remaining were cost and/or availability.
I watched that video also. In fact, I just ordered the paint that he used and recommended. I've been wanting an airbrush setup anyway. I might look into the later model louvers if I can't figure out how to put this thing together. Jim also has a good idea....ship it to him!!! :lol: I guess he just doesn't have enough frustration in his life.

I watched that video also. In fact, I just ordered the paint that he used and recommended. I've been wanting an airbrush setup anyway. I might look into the later model louvers if I can't figure out how to put this thing together. Jim also has a good idea....ship it to him!!! :lol: I guess he just doesn't have enough frustration in his life.

I got pretty good at putting them back together. I actually have a 67 vent that I was using for parts on my 66.

I have a complete one that is near mint condition if interested. I didn't see any pits at all. I could get better pictures. Out of a 68

100_0191.JPG

Almost done.

Hey @charliec depending on the position in the distribution duct the thumb tab goes either on the top or bottom. Which way was this one.

IMG_5283.jpeg

IMG_5282.jpeg

There you go. I’ll try to get it out from here this week. Else it will go out when we get home next week.

IMG_5284.jpeg

-
Back