Recovering a Seat

-

Sully1190

Look. It's a Gold Duster.
Reaction score
I just got a front bench seat roughly priced at 400 to be recovered. Does that seem to be pretty close to a good price? Or should I shop around for cheaper?

Also, on seat covers, does anyone know a good place to get a nice, form fitting cover for a 74 bench seat? I don't want just a loose bag over it.

I just got a front bench seat roughly priced at 400 to be recovered. Does that seem to be pretty close to a good price? Or should I shop around for cheaper?

Also, on seat covers, does anyone know a good place to get a nice, form fitting cover for a 74 bench seat? I don't want just a loose bag over it.
Is the Upholsterer going to replace the foam/Springs for the $400? Or is it just slapping the new material on it?

Just new vinyl, I believe. I didn't ask about new foam and springs... Though now that you mention it, it could use some. I'm a short fellow. I need to see over the wheel haha.

Just new vinyl, I believe. I didn't ask about new foam and springs... Though now that you mention it, it could use some. I'm a short fellow. I need to see over the wheel haha.
That's why I asked. I would not just cover it. Most of the time the Drivers side is sandwiched down a few inches. I would wait for someone on here to make a recommendation and get it done right. The price will probably be more than $400 but there's more to it than meets the eye. What color are you going with?

We're keeping the tan/gold interior. But, since we're looking at 400-500, I'll probably find a nice tan seat cover until next pay period.

I agree, find someone who will do the job right. Properly done, you should replace the padding under the cover.

I should note: I don't mean that the guy wasn't going to replace it. The "rough estimate" of 400 was over the phone. I just asked him about the price to recover your average bench seat with vinyl. I didn't ask him about the foam and springs.

I should note: I don't mean that the guy wasn't going to replace it. The "rough estimate" of 400 was over the phone. I just asked him about the price to recover your average bench seat with vinyl. I didn't ask him about the foam and springs.
You're doing the right thing by getting advice on here. Knowledge is power. Take a little time and get the best job possible for your budget.

Be wary of using someone without referrals from satified customers and seeing examples of their work for yourself. Don't forget to ask them how they were treated and how they feel about the experience.
I took a pair of buckets to a well established shop in the area thinking that because they had been around a long time that I would get a good job, and got a "rough" estimate. BIG MISTAKE. After agreeing on the price, accepting the job, and stripping my seats, they informed me the job would cost twice as much as I was originally told and that before they started putting the seats back together I would need to supply them with new spring assemblies. At that point I went to get my seats. It cost me over half of the original estimate to get them back and the shop managed to loose some of the original hardware (it was loose in a paper bag).

In addition to replacing old worn and compressed padding with new, don't forget the springs. If the springs are bad, no amount of padding will hide it for long, if at all. Depending on your skill level, it might be worth it to carefully strip the old covers and refurbish the spring bases yourself (replacing broken springs, retying, and media blasting if necessary). At least that way you'll KNOW the foundation is solid under the padding and covers.

I ordered a bench seat cover from these people...I don't know if they have Vinyl or not...I used a blue cloth similar to this material in my 72 Dart..it fit great and was good quality. Mine had the fold down arm rest and it compensated for that. I put it over the old material. Of course you could put some extra foam padding underneath it.

http://www.eclipsecovers.com/SeatCovers_RegalSeatCovers.html

I might take the springs out and doctor on them. We've used this place before for minor things. They're nice. Just wasn't sure how their pricing compared.

Also, they seem kinda "no nonsense." I was afraid of ending up in a similar situation, twofosho. I thought they'd end up sitting there for a week or so and they'd find more ways to charge me. But he told me he would look at them, give me the exact cost, order everything he needed if I didn't have it, and I could drop them off and pick them back up later the same day, that they scheduled their work to work on what was there and get it knocked out. They didn't like things just sitting around collecting dust.

And thanks for the link, TexasDart! But I think I'm going to try to find something cheaper since it'll just be quick and temporary.

i ordered my rear bench seat covers from legendary auto interiors. i was impressed with the quality. far better than the bucket seat covers i got from year one. anyway if it was me i would buy a new replacement seat cover from them and install it myself. its pretty easy. i got new foam from the local fabric store. i paid 80 bucks for the foam to do the rear seat. dont cheap out and get the cheap foam. get the high density upolostry foam. i did my rear bench for 300 and it looks like factory.
IMG_7032.jpg

Wow. That is a mighty good looking job. What all did recovering the seat entail?

Hey sully was that at Juan's on hy 18 I heard he does ok work but there is a place on terry rd givens that I heard did real good work

Hey sully was that at Juan's on hy 18 I heard he does ok work but there is a place on terry rd givens that I heard did real good work

This was actually J&D in Greenville. Not exactly close to where I live, but the Duster is actually at my parents house (apartments don't come with garages) in the delta.

Wow. That is a mighty good looking job. What all did recovering the seat entail?

well my springs were in good shape but i went to the local pick and pull and picked up another burlap cloth that goes over the springs. the newer models actually have a small metal wire that is woven in. i cleaned up the frames and then laid the new foam over the burlap spring liner and hog ringed it in place. one thing that i would recommend that some dont use is a layer of thin cotton padding like you would use when doing pillows and stuff. got it at fabric store. it was about 1/2 thick and it softens the edge of the foam so you dont see the edges. i just took my time and adjusted it so it all looked straight before i hog ringed anything.

Interesting. Doesn't sound too hard. I'm going to have to look into that. After all, I've done most everything else so far without professional help. ;p Cept y'all here at FABO, of course.

well my springs were in good shape but i went to the local pick and pull and picked up another burlap cloth that goes over the springs. the newer models actually have a small metal wire that is woven in. i cleaned up the frames and then laid the new foam over the burlap spring liner and hog ringed it in place. one thing that i would recommend that some dont use is a layer of thin cotton padding like you would use when doing pillows and stuff. got it at fabric store. it was about 1/2 thick and it softens the edge of the foam so you dont see the edges. i just took my time and adjusted it so it all looked straight before i hog ringed anything.
Very Nice work. I think we found your calling.

I see a Given's Upholstery on Wiggins Road. The only one I see on Terry Road is Langley's. Perhaps I'll poke around them on my way home today.

I'm about to give them all a call and feel them out. I'll shoot you a PM and let ya know what I discover.

Too bad your not closer,I did mine and a few others.

Attachments

• 000_2149.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 319
I re-did the bench seat and rear in my 65 Newport ~15 years ago, and they still look fine. I got new vinyl covers thru J.C. Whitney, back when they were the go-to place. Paid maybe $60. Search internet today. Places that make seat covers have patterns going back to the 1920's. Legendary makes the best covers, but their prices will floor you.

The support wires had cut into the cotton batts, so I put plastic carpet protector over the wire and re-laid the batts, which restored the seat height. I used hog-ring clips to secure the covers to the frame.

If doing it today, I would just get bucket seats from a wrecked car. I got a set for both my 64 & 65 A bodies for $50 and $120/set. Gives me power driver's seat, shoulder belt, and head restraint. Not original, but safer and more comfortable. Sebring seats are nice.

If doing it today, I would just get bucket seats from a wrecked car. I got a set for both my 64 & 65 A bodies for $50 and $120/set. Gives me power driver's seat, shoulder belt, and head restraint. Not original, but safer and more comfortable. Sebring seats are nice.

See. The only thing is, that I really like the bench seat. Everything has buckets now. The bench feels more... I dunno. Authentic? Plus, then the wife can scoot over closer if she wants to :)

For me...I wanted a cloth covered seat vs..the vinyl seat...vinyl ain't cool in Texas. :) So the Eclipse cover fit nice and tight and did not look like a loose bag like the Box store brand and it cost me about a 100 bucks. The thing fit like a glove..not one of those sloppy gloves either. Putting covers on a bench seat is really pretty easy..even if you get it from Legendary. I think the Elcipse just used a draw string at the bottom.

-
Back