Recs for license plate restoration?

-

oldskool

Reaction score
Couldn't find a proper thread location so thought I'd try here first.

I have a '68 Barracuda fastback and hooked up w/ the previous owner/restorer yesterday. He sold me a bunch of original parts and aftermarket stuff that he no longer had use for. (Some of those parts will definitely end up in the classifieds here...) One of the items was the original California black plate from the front bumper. I have the rear plate and it's in great condition. The front, while straight, has seen better days though most of it appears to be oxidation on the paint and some minor surface rust.

Wondering if anyone here has recs for places to restore the plate? I saw a bunch of places online but I'd rather use a place that has direct recommendations. I've had good luck w/ recs from here so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm going to give a 1st pass to try to clean it up and see how it looks but if it's not to my liking, I'll go the restoration route.

Thanks in advance.

I did my own. First I straightened it out and prepared the surface. Then I painted the black background using a semi gloss spray paint. Finally, I hired a local sign painter to hand paint the letters and numbers. I took the good plate down and had a paint shop match the color of the yellow for me.

They were still a bit shiny for my tastes, so I top coated them with an eggshell sheen clear.

Yes, they used to be blue and yellow, but only a few notice the inverted #'s & letters. Been on the car for 5+ years with no problems yet.

Attachments

• Cuda 1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 109
We were talking about this in our Mopar club meeting last night. One of the guys just got his new issued black and yellow plates from DMW.

In the discussion on member had two plates restored by a guy in Orange County for $160/pr. Another mentioned a guy for $300/pr.

I'm waiting for the contact info for the $160 guy. The person said he was at Cruisin for a Cure as a vendor.

I restore them and can shoot you a couple of pics of my work. if interested send me a pm

I did my own. First I straightened it out and prepared the surface. Then I painted the black background using a semi gloss spray paint. Finally, I hired a local sign painter to hand paint the letters and numbers. I took the good plate down and had a paint shop match the color of the yellow for me.

They were still a bit shiny for my tastes, so I top coated them with an eggshell sheen clear.

Yes, they used to be blue and yellow, but only a few notice the inverted #'s & letters. Been on the car for 5+ years with no problems yet.

It is possible for a 70 model year car that was bought and registered before Dec 31, 1969 to have black and yellow plates. There's a yellow 70 340 3spd 'Cuda that comes to spring fling with black and yellow original plates.

It is possible for a 70 model year car that was bought and registered before Dec 31, 1969 to have black and yellow plates. There's a yellow 70 340 3spd 'Cuda that comes to spring fling with black and yellow original plates.

I heard they used the black and yellow plates until they ran out of them in early 1970. This particular car was originally sold in Reno Nevada in Dec. 1969. I still have those plates.

-
Back