Red Headed Stepchild-75 Swinger LSX Swap

-
Upping the compression ratio? Are you changing fuels as well?

Upping the compression ratio? Are you changing fuels as well?
I wanted to change fuels but with the time frame and budget I probably will have to put that off till next year.

But I did get her up on stands today. And ready to break down.

Screenshot_20220107-164937_Yahoo Mail.jpg

20220108_160600.jpg

I'm sorry, I don't get it and I know this might make some folks upset, but was a good Mopar engine not available, when you wished to go V8 with this car?

Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Joe, go find another to try and trigger. I don't trigger at all. I am addressing the guy who put the chevy engine in a Mopar. Seems like maybe you should ask him the same question.

Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Joe, go find another to try and trigger. I don't trigger at all. I am addressing the guy who put the chevy engine in a Mopar. Seems like maybe you should ask him the same question.

LMAO. I stand by my previous statement.

Why should I ask him about HIS choice to put an LS in HIS car? I couldn't care less what motor he has in his car. At least he's out there driving and enjoying it and not sitting in a lawn chair behind it.

the ls motors are easy to make big (boosted) hp from very cheaply compared to mopar motors. pretty sure this was all covered in the early pages of this build if you look and check.
neil.

I'm sorry, I don't get it and I know this might make some folks upset, but was a good Mopar engine not available, when you wished to go V8 with this car?
If it’s not your cup of tea that’s perfectly ok. Just move on. There are people here that love this car (myself included) and respect what @YoungDart75 has done with it.

They were definitely available. However at the price compared to the setup I currently have, it was apples to oranges. Much more cost involved in building a new gen iii hemi and swapping that in than what I have. Trust me I nerded out and did a full blown Excell spreadsheet of costs for gen iii vs LS. LS won hands down. Thus I started the LS swap on jt snd jt germane me a chance to engineer some thing to do something, that at the time I had only ever seen mentioned twice. Never actually saw any really info on making it work.

So could I have done the plug an play that every other mopar owner does and pay more for it, absolutely. Did I want to be like everyone else in the mopsr crowd and put a 318 or 360 in there? Absolutely not.

I could see how that is confusing for a lot of mopar owners. If you need anymore clarification to accelerate your understanding, feel free to ask. I may still have the spreadsheet around somewhere. Have a blessed week my friend.

With the cold weather up here and much work to be done both on my car and the wife's camaro, I finally installed a heater in the garage. This should help me get stuff done without freezing here in the PNW.

Slowly got started the tear down for upgrades as well. Between work. College and my wife deployed I gotta get it done when I can.

May be selling the current converter for one spec'd for my car and possibly selling the journal bearing turbos and going to ball bearing. Would like to have it dialed in and ready for LS Fest west in April. If not then for sure dial it in all year and go to Street Car Super nationals on Vegas in November.

20220121_164150.jpg

20220121_164607.jpg

20220123_172931.jpg

I don't know why you thought you needed a hemi. Of course they are expensive. That is just one reason why I wont bother with a hemi. I think it is hugely sacreligious to put a cheby engine in a Mopar. Sorry, but I am a real Mopar fan and anyone like me, would never DREAM of doing so. Who care about how cheap an ls engine is. So are 318s, 360s, etc. I've said all I care to on this thread.

They were definitely available. However at the price compared to the setup I currently have, it was apples to oranges. Much more cost involved in building a new gen iii hemi and swapping that in than what I have. Trust me I nerded out and did a full blown Excell spreadsheet of costs for gen iii vs LS. LS won hands down. Thus I started the LS swap on jt snd jt germane me a chance to engineer some thing to do something, that at the time I had only ever seen mentioned twice. Never actually saw any really info on making it work.

So could I have done the plug an play that every other mopar owner does and pay more for it, absolutely. Did I want to be like everyone else in the mopsr crowd and put a 318 or 360 in there? Absolutely not.

I could see how that is confusing for a lot of mopar owners. If you need anymore clarification to accelerate your understanding, feel free to ask. I may still have the spreadsheet around somewhere. Have a blessed week my friend.

You didn't compare apples to apples. It's like saying "I compared a promod engine to a super-stock engine and hands-down, the S/S engine was the way to go". Per cubic inch, of course the hemi is more expensive and heavier, too. I don't know what horsepower you really need for the street or for anywhere for that matter, but a really nicely set up Mopar small block, will produce over 1,000 hp. Ok, what ever. I'm done with trying to talk a "Mopar fan" into being a tad bit more loyal. All the Mother Mopar fans I have ever known, wouldn't dream of doing what you did. Shame on you. That's my two cents. I'm moving on and wont read any more of this thread. Enjoy.

You didn't compare apples to apples. It's like saying "I compared a promod engine to a super-stock engine and hands-down, the S/S engine was the way to go". Per cubic inch, of course the hemi is more expensive and heavier, too. I don't know what horsepower you really need for the street or for anywhere for that matter, but a really nicely set up Mopar small block, will produce over 1,000 hp. Ok, what ever. I'm done with trying to talk a "Mopar fan" into being a tad bit more loyal. All the Mother Mopar fans I have ever known, wouldn't dream of doing what you did. Shame on you. That's my two cents. I'm moving on and wont read any more of this thread. Enjoy.
Saying you know what I did and didn't do??? Gtfoh. Tell me what the cost of a well setup gen iii hemi swap would have cost me in 2017 compared to what I have now. You can't, because you can't even understand building your own car with your own money, despite what other people say. I'm not trying to tell you to do anything, or that you shouldn't do anything with your own car and your own money. Bring your gen iii hemi swapped twin turbo Mopar out, bring your build sheet/with costs and then run what I run or faster, for as long as I've been running it with zero failures and then I'll warrant the conversation with you beyond this post. Kindly exit stage left back to your cave. Have a blessed week.

Last edited:
I don't know why you thought you needed a hemi. Of course they are expensive. That is just one reason why I wont bother with a hemi. I think it is hugely sacreligious to put a cheby engine in a Mopar. Sorry, but I am a real Mopar fan and anyone like me, would never DREAM of doing so. Who care about how cheap an ls engine is. So are 318s, 360s, etc. I've said all I care to on this thread.
I don't get what the issue is, it's not like the car was an original big block Dart, or anything rare. He built it with his own money and time, following in the footsteps of the original hotrodders, the guys that built with what they could find. It's this purist attitude that will drive more people away from this hobby. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, like it or don't, but respect the effort and work that goes into a person's project.

With the cold weather up here and much work to be done both on my car and the wife's camaro, I finally installed a heater in the garage. This should help me get stuff done without freezing here in the PNW.

Slowly got started the tear down for upgrades as well. Between work. College and my wife deployed I gotta get it done when I can.

May be selling the current converter for one spec'd for my car and possibly selling the journal bearing turbos and going to ball bearing. Would like to have it dialed in and ready for LS Fest west in April. If not then for sure dial it in all year and go to Street Car Super nationals on Vegas in November.

View attachment 1715858753

View attachment 1715858755

View attachment 1715858757
How does the heater do? I'm lookin at one similar. My shop is uninsulated metal. I guess it'd still be better than nuthin?

-
Back