redneck tools for the hobbyist

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I know many of you are like me it's just a hobby and can't afford to buy expensive tools to do a job one time. Also llike myself have to make/ modify some tool?
Was told to use something wood or plastic to push out my rear main seal and as I'm looking around the garage for something I can use- wife says how about a toothbrush modify? I say good idea and go the drawer where I keep all toothbrushes in the garage as cleaners. The head of the brush just snapped off in my hand and took it to the grinder just to dress it up and crush the backside of it in to. the grinder to make a flat spot for hammering. It worked perfect! Will be the redneck tool of the week for me....
20170410_071302.jpg

When I worked in the local Toyota service department many years ago, I made a front crank seal puller from a section of threaded pipe, a large nut and a bolt. I still have it. Will get a pic or two when I get home from work tonight. Is that the kinda stuff you're talkin about?

Exactly what I'm talking about. I see big potential for this being a sticky for hobbyist who can't afford again expensive one-time used tools. Or don't want to lol
When I worked in the local Toyota service department many years ago, I made a front crank seal puller from a section of threaded pipe, a large nut and a bolt. I still have it. Will get a pic or two when I get home from work tonight. Is that the kinda stuff you're talkin about?

" hey there's a guy that made a tool for that in the Redneck tool sticky and it worked very well!" ?????....

Thank you anyways but I think I like my redneck title! LOL

I like your title too & wasn't going to change it. Was just going to move your thread to that forum. It won't get buried there as quickly....:D

I know many of you are like me it's just a hobby and can't afford to buy expensive tools to do a job one time. Also llike myself have to make/ modify some tool?
Was told to use something wood or plastic to push out my rear main seal and as I'm looking around the garage for something I can use- wife says how about a toothbrush modify? I say good idea and go the drawer where I keep all toothbrushes in the garage as cleaners. The head of the brush just snapped off in my hand and took it to the grinder just to dress it up and crush the backside of it in to. the grinder to make a flat spot for hammering. It worked perfect! Will be the redneck tool of the week for me....

You are lucky it came out that easy, because some don't.

Actually I found an oil pump gasket and have been informed by members that there not a real common item so I traced around the one I had a couple of times so I/anyone could reproduce.

:poke:So I'm not the only one that made gaskets out of poster board?

the man i owe the majority of my mechanical ability to has made all sorts of tools and modified a many to, mostly in the diesel truck market! he received a honorary doctorian degree for a injector puller he designed and built for a electronic cat injector when big wig at local cat dealer caught my friends son using it, now every cat dealer got one like it in tool room and there customers can buy there own with CAT logo and all...

20170410_194955.jpg
RN tool of the day (I should have started this thread sooner I'd have likely dozens recorded)
4×4 with the corners sawsaled off and "presto!" timing chain cover seal installation tool :thumbsup:
invented and used within the last hour....

I made a Control Arm bushing press with some threaded rod, a few large washers and a few nuts. It works great.

Put the flat side of the spacer against the seal and start tapping on it. Since the OD of the spacer is larger than the OD of the hub it will seat the seal flush with the hub. I've also used a piece of aluminum round stock to do it, just as long as the OD of the piece is larger than the hub OD.

Don't have any pics of it, but I've cut the snouts off harmonic balancers before and welded them to a 1/2" drive el cheapo socket to make a crank turning socket. Same can be done with a discarded timing gear

My spring compressor made from an old rocker arm and a piece of pipe I had laying around.
tool.JPG

Made floor lamp from different car parts including cut axle shaft from 8 3/4. splined end welded to bar for ring and pinion setup.
20170412_150653 (1).jpg
20170412_142932.jpg

Last edited:
I just found this thread, I thought I left it somewhere else but I think it got moved? Well actually I know it got move now. There was talk about it but I didn't know it actually happened till I found it...
ANYWAYS - remember this one that I just used also it was a long skinny screwdriver that I bent the tip of to push the intermediate shaft bushing out..
20170415_153439.jpg

-
Back