Redondo thumb wheel Radio installation in a 1969 Barracuda mounting issue

-
See those two brackets with the mounting holes attached to the radio? You have arrows pointing to them. Take them off the old radio and attach them to the black brackets supplied by Redondo. Then you can use the original mounting holes. I wasn't as lucky as you to have an original radio so I had to make brackets. Also, you will need to use the supplied bracket that attaches to the stud on the back of the radio to adjust height. There is a hole in the rear of the dash frame, luckily enough that you can use to attach it. You will have to play with the adjustments a little but it will fit ok. Here's a pic of my install

I had to go back and re adjust the pushbuttons more level but other than that, the radio works perfectly. I love the bluetooth option especially being able to stream Spotify for music instead of fooling with cd's.
Those brackets on the old radio are part of the entire front half of the radio. I will have to make brackets. Yours looks good. If you did then its possible. The manufacturer replied to my email and said I could use the supplied strap to make brackets. I will make some brackets. Thanks

View attachment 1715705022

Check these guys out. Look at the radio on the home page! That's a good sign lol
Welcome - Classic Car Radio Restoration

These retrofits are done by Mr HeaterBox in Ontario , Canada. These people are top notch and their work is excellent. I've dealt wit them a number of times now and same results. Great product, on time and good pricing plus great after sale service.

You will have to use a heavier metal than that supplied by Redondo as it is too flimsy to make the brackets for the front. I tried it and when you push in on the buttons to activate the functions, the radio will push back into the dash as the metal bends too easily. Most Audio stores carry the heavier gauge brackets and they are cheap! Let me know if I can help further.

Cheers!!

You will have to use a heavier metal than that supplied by Redondo as it is too flimsy to make the brackets for the front. I tried it and when you push in on the buttons to activate the functions, the radio will push back into the dash as the metal bends too easily. Most Audio stores carry the heavier gauge brackets and they are cheap! Let me know if I can help further.

Cheers!!
What gauge metal did you use? Did you have to tack weld to the Redondo brackets? did you have to use a metal brake? what do the brackets you made look like. where they just heavy duty straps? I will make this work. I can't afford those retrofits. They are about $700 Bucks. This car is in all original condition so I don't want to modify the dash. Another issue is I do not have a complete Radio only the front face, no housing to mount electronics.

Last edited:
What gauge metal did you use? Did you have to tack weld to the Redondo brackets? did you have to use a metal brake? what do the brackets you made look like. where they just heavy duty straps? I will make this work. I can't afford those retrofits. They are about $700 Bucks. This car is in all original condition so I don't want to modify the dash. Another issue is I do not have a complete Radio only the front face, no housing to mount electronics.

I just happened to have some small L-brackets lying around so I measured and cut them to simulate the original radio mounting holes and drilled them out to use a nut and bolt to fasten the bracket to the Redondo bracket and then through the mounting hole in the dash housing. I left the fasteners just tight enough to be able to move the radio housing and adjustment knobs into the correct position, then I used locktite and tightened everything up. Like most aftermarket stuff, you will have to play around with the adjustment a little but, as you can see by mine, it will work. Its worth the effort!

Great, I feel confident I can do it. Just wanted to make sure its possible. I will use screws with flat heads to attach the bracket to the Redondo that way the radio can be positioned as close as possible to the dash. Thank you

Great, I feel confident I can do it. Just wanted to make sure its possible. I will use screws with flat heads to attach the bracket to the Redondo that way the radio can be positioned as close as possible to the dash. Thank you

Here's a tip for the flat head screws I used, Go to a Lowes or Home Depot and find the nut/bolt secton. then, find the furniture assembly hardware bins. You will find low profile flat head Phillips bolts and nuts of various sizes there that will work great for this. Don't forget the locktite when doing the final assembly!!

Cheers!!

Here's a tip for the flat head screws I used, Go to a Lowes or Home Depot and find the nut/bolt secton. then, find the furniture assembly hardware bins. You will find low profile flat head Phillips bolts and nuts of various sizes there that will work great for this. Don't forget the locktite when doing the final assembly!!
Cheers!!
Here is what I have, I doubled up on some aluminum and I think it will work. The left side was a little tricky but I was able to duplicate the double bend offset back. Will make adjustments in the car. Looks like I have to file the dash openings a tiny bit so new thumb wheels will come through.
retrosound-redondo-thumb-wheel-black-jpg.jpg

Redondo mounting brackets.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I have, I doubled up on some aluminum and I think it will work. The left side was a little tricky but I was able to duplicate the double bend offset back. Will make adjustments in the car. Looks like I have to file the dash openings a tiny bit so new thumb wheels will come through.
View attachment 1715706655

Looks Good!! Only thing that may be a problem is the height of the bolt heads attaching the brackets. I used a much lower profile bolt but you won't really know until you test fit it to make sure the radio head goes flush with the bezel. I think you got it though!!

Looks Good!! Only thing that may be a problem is the height of the bolt heads attaching the brackets. I used a much lower profile bolt but you won't really know until you test fit it to make sure the radio head goes flush with the bezel. I think you got it though!!
Yes I cut the slots on the side brackets out more it will allow the radio to slide farther forward than shown. These are the flattest bolt heads I could find.

Yes I cut the slots on the side brackets out more it will allow the radio to slide farther forward than shown. These are the flattest bolt heads I could find.

You still have lots of adjustment where the Brackets attach to the radio body though. Also don't put the Plymouth decal on the radio face until you are ready to install it for the final time. And... don't forget the locktite!! You don't want any of the fasteners coming loose, if they do, you have to take the whole cluster back out to tighten them! (ask me how I know LOL !!)

-
Back