Reference for serpentine belts

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
I'm going to try to run the front end of my 5.7 hemi with no A/C, no alternator and no idlers on the passenger side. Just crank, tensioner, water pump and an idler where the power steering pump goes.
I need a way to figure out what part number translates to the length of the belt needed.
Thanks!

I did my own setup without P/S or A/C without using any of expensive idler pulleys that bolt in place of the pump or compressor. I ended up just using a string to guesstimate the belt length and took that to the part store and asked them what they had in that length. The one I got was a little on the too short/long (don't remember which), so I just took it back and asked for the next size they had. Been working fine since then as far as I can tell.

I did my own setup without P/S or A/C without using any of expensive idler pulleys that bolt in place of the pump or compressor. I ended up just using a string to guesstimate the belt length and took that to the part store and asked them what they had in that length. The one I got was a little on the too short/long (don't remember which), so I just took it back and asked for the next size they had. Been working fine since then as far as I can tell.
Sounds good, thanks!

The last three numbers of the part number is the length in inches. I.E. 56685 is a 68.5" belt.

So you don't have to run the p/s pulley? In another thread they said it has to be run.

P/S pulley is a must, A/C not. It is changing the running direction. Otherwise your waterpump is turning in the wrong direction. And routing the belt is a problem too.

You don't have to run the P/S on a truck cover, but sounds like you do on a car cover. It would be nice if someone posted some side by side pictures of a direct front view of both engines with both P/S and A/C mounted for a reference. I've found the belt diagrams in the past, but it's nice to see the actual cover as well so people can think up ways around the expensive idler pulleys.

A couple things to add about the car cover that you can't tell from the pic.

One, you need the tensioner in that location for belt routing. The belt cannot go straight between the crank and alternator because the lower rad hose would be in the belt path.

Two, because of the tensioner, the belt can't go straight from the waterpump to crank, so you need another pulley to move the belt out.

I tried forever to come up wth a way to avoid the idler pulley for the P/S, and couldn't make it happen. I finally just got a pulley.

I have a car cover, p/s pulley is must! I'm using the power steering pump as a pulley, pulled the internals, using a 69.5" serpentine belt.

Attachments

• image-1720621455.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 362
  • image-4230391207.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 209
Wow, that just makes me more glad I went with a truck cover I think. I eliminated P/S and A/C by just bolting an idler pulley (no special bracket) to the timing cover. Hardest part was finding a smooth idler as opposed to a grooved one (part store isn't very good with generic requests depending on who's behind the counter). Took in the grooved idler off the tensioner and asked for the same thing in a smooth version.

Ok so what I gathered here is since I have a truck timing cover I don't need either the p/s or the a/c pulley?

A couple things to add about the car cover that you can't tell from the pic.

One, you need the tensioner in that location for belt routing. The belt cannot go straight between the crank and alternator because the lower rad hose would be in the belt path.

Two, because of the tensioner, the belt can't go straight from the waterpump to crank, so you need another pulley to move the belt out.

I tried forever to come up wth a way to avoid the idler pulley for the P/S, and couldn't make it happen. I finally just got a pulley.

It works. It is tight with the hose but it works. this is the truck cover. A bit different. The belt is a bit more forward from the cover. And there is in deed an additional pulley to change the routing on top. the alternator works as tensioner.... this is what I wanna do but I can't find the truck crank pulley here...

-
Back