Refinished my bezels on the 65 Dart GT

-

B Taylor

Reaction score
My bezels were pretty much just yellow plastic with very little chrome or paint left. I took them out and cleaned them thoroughly. Painted the whole thing in Argent silver let them dry for 2 days, taped them off and painted the satin black. Then I used chrome tape on the edges.
While they were out I painted the needles, cleaned all contacts and used dielectric grease. Also new speaker in the dash and cleaned anything I could reach in the dash.
Still need to pull the pad off and recover it.

My bezels were pretty much just yellow plastic with very little chrome or paint left. I took them out and cleaned them thoroughly. Painted the whole thing in Argent silver let them dry for 2 days, taped them off and painted the satin black. Then I used chrome tape on the edges.
While they were out I painted the needles, cleaned all contacts and used dielectric grease. Also new speaker in the dash and cleaned anything I could reach in the dash.
Still need to pull the pad off and recover it.

SAM_1662.JPG

SAM_1663.JPG

No big deal, just FYI... Additional paint on the needles can make the gauge read a tad lower. It's most evident in speedometer needles. Speedometer needles are/were balanced, like a lawn mower blade is if that makes sense. How they balanced the different speedometer needles varies but most commonly you could remove that needle and turn it over to see a dab of epoxy like material applied opposite the limb.
Gauge restorers first chemically strip the needles then repaint, then recheck/recalibrate.
Again its no big deal for other instruments but a severely unbalanced speedometer needle just might shorten the life of that instrument. I said "might". I'm no engineer so I can't know for sure.
Good luck to all

What is chrome tape? Does it come in the correct width for 65 dash bezels? I need to redo my 65 Dart dash too.

-
Back