Registering a never registered car.

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I have run into a unique situation. I have found a car that has supposedly never been registered. I live in OHIO so I'm curious if it would be possible to get the car registered. It has changed hands a few times and I'm not sure how much of the paper trail is complete.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT OHIO BUT IN MD THERE IS A CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN THAT THE MANUFACTURER SENDS WITH UNTITLED VEHICLES, MOTORCYCLES AND TRAILERS THEN WHEN THE VEHICLE IS SOLD IT GETS TITLED IN THE STATE IT WAS SOLD IN AND OF COURSE THE TAXES GET PAID. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT HELPS BUT GOOD LUCK

Never been registered meaning it doesn't even have a title??? I Michigan, a car with no title must be run through the Michigan database, the national stolen vehicle database, then appraised, then all paperwork must be presented and most times you get a clear title! Sometimes, different states will "bond" a title for a period of time, most times 2 years, to allow for any previous owners to dispute the ownership of the vehicle using proof of prior ownership and such! Doesn't mean that they take the car away, just means more paperwork for you if someone comes forward! Usually not the case with old cars, but a loophole for theives who have had it before, don't transfer the title, let you spend countless $1000's restoring it, then try to claim ownership of it by producing original documentation in their name! Mostly done on high dollar cars!!

The seller states "You can go to DMV register the car with just a bill of sale and have a conditional title that is restricted where as you can't sell the car for two years." But that is in their home state. Holding onto the car for 2 years, if I buy it, isn't going to be a problem.

Last edited:
your best bet is to visit your local DMV and speak with the senior clerk on hand and get the ruling and procedure straight from them. It could be a walk in the park, it could be like climbing Mt. Everest....go to the source...you will be happy you did. Often they have a check sheet they can print out along with other required forms to make this fast and easy. Am sure you will need the vehicle inspected by an officer and run against the hot sheet, that is the form the officer will sign after doing the verification.

The correct answer is start with your local DMV. In Idaho you must get a title PERIOD. Sometimes "you can't"

-
Back