Reluctor and Coil pickup not parallel- help

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
So I was checking my rotor and such today and discovered that my Reluctor and the Pickup Coil are not parallel where they should be gapped.

The plate that the pickup sits on is pivoting from side to side when I press down on it. It acts like it is pivoting on a locating pin or screw or something.

I can't figure out what holds the plate with pickup on the disty so have not been able to take it apart and see if something got under it or what?

Haven't had a Mopar in 25 years so all is new again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help on FABO!

Brian

6.JPG

7.jpg

This is why stock distribs suck. The advance plate is held down by a simple spring clip under the static plate.

Anyway, I'd bend the pickup so it's straight without applying pressure to the advance plate as that's not what the plate would see under running conditions.

The vacuum advance servo rotates advance plate, pickup and all. You can operate the servo with a vacuum supply and see if the pickup stays paralell during rotation. To rotate it with you hand doesn't accurately represent.

OK...but there must still be a problem someplace....would it be the spring clip? I understand bending the Pickup to parallel but would like to find out what is wrong. Thanks!

Pulled the disty...changed the reluctor cuz it was really bad.

Took it completely apart and all looks normal. The only thing I can figure is that the pick up was manufactured wrong and is bent.

So it's like you said Ramcharger...bend the pickup and look for a better distributor.

Is there an economical alternative? The good news is a got to see that I have a roller cam...cool.

I have to straighten almost ever new one I install because their never parallel. Like stated above all you have to do is bend it a little until it's straight. Also check the reluctor gap with the vacuum advance in the rest position and with it pulled all the way because it sometimes varies a little. I just did one this afternoon and I set the gap at .006 with the vacuum advance at rest then applied vacuum to it via mityvac and it nearly closed the gap. I ended up setting it at .006 with the vacuum advance wide open and then re-checked it with vacuum advance at rest and it's .009". If you notice I set it kinda tight compare to what the factory says. That's because I'm running a Mallory 6AL box and them and MSD boxes don't seem to fire consistently with any gap bigger than .010"

-
Back