Remember When, Your 1st Cell (Bag) Phone

-
Yep that was my first one also, it was the dumbest phone possible, you could not charge its battery with the phone on. So if you left it on in the car it would eventually die and if your cars battery went dead so did it. but it was like 5 watts compared to today's phone of around .05 watts.

Can you remember back to your 1st wireless or cellular phone.....

View attachment 1715285932

I was the Land Mobile Radio manager at Laughlin Air Force in Del Rio, TX back around 1992.

The medical clinic on base would transport folks in an ambulance 200 miles to San Antonio and wanted a way to "stay in touch". I found the Motorola bag phone like in the first picture.

I got the privilege to ride in the back of the ambulance to San Antonio and back to test connectivity. As I recall it was pretty good for 1992. The landscape is tabletop flat the entire distance.

I worked with a guy who said he had a cell number around 82 to 90 or so.
Turns out it was a prison cell!

My '92 SC400 had a factory cell phone in the center console. I found it under the seat when I went looking for the radio amp. The RJ11 (phone) jack is still in there. My Bro in law had a bag phone in his Maserati Bi-Turbo in 1988. What a POS....the car, not the phone.

I guess all of y’all remember when the National Anthem came on TV with the flag flying what happened next.....
Bedtime!

-
Back