Remote Transmission Cooler Installation Hardware

-

74Scooter

Reaction score
Last weekend following slow traffic up a grade my transmission had my cooling system hovering just under and at 200. Safe but warmer than I want to see. Have decided to install a 14 inch passive dual pass cooler in the area just below and in front of the radiator. Would use 3/8 hose for the connection.

Question is this... if I do not want to cut the current transmission lines, what fittings would I need? Derale sells this adapter for the radiator side:

der-13004.jpg

Use whatever end is applicable and slide the hose over the other end and clamp it?

Would it be better to go with something like these 2 for both ends? 6AN Male & Female x 3/8 barb. Screw 1 into the rad and the other into the radiator line.. fin right?

D13022s.png

Seems a lot simpler and you get the barb for the 3/8 hose on both pieces. Or am I missing something?

I used your first choice. No problems in a couple - three years. And you can't see it without crawling under the car.

I used your first choice. No problems in a couple - three years. And you can't see it without crawling under the car.

What did you use on the other side? Just slip the rubber line over the flare and clamp somewhere behind?

What did you use on the other side? Just slip the rubber line over the flare and clamp somewhere behind?

Sorry man, been watching some college football!!

I ran the stock line to my radiator then out the radiator using the Derale to the external cooler, from the external cooler back to the return line to the transmission, just sliding the hose over the line (you can see the nut just pushed back)

The way I ran the return from the cooler along the bottom of the radiator, it goes to the same spot as the factory line. Hope that makes sense. Here's a picture. Maybe not the prettiest but it works and mine is a decent driver, not a show car!
20220903_210039.jpg

^^ No worries... thanks for replying! Did you use 3/8 hose?

Pretty sure it's 3/8. I used what came with the cooler, although I remember needing to buy more.

Great. That's pretty much what I'm thinking. I'll grab the fluid from the return side of the radiator, run it through the cooler and run the output side of the cooler to the return line for the transmission.

I'm going to try one of these passive coolers to start mounted to the valance support on the drivers side. If I can keep the transmission 10~15 degree's cooler it should not heat soak my radiator.
sum-331000_xl.jpg

Any update on this install? Was thinking of using the same type on my 68 but mounted next to the tranny on the frame trail.

Any update on this install? Was thinking of using the same type on my 68 but mounted next to the tranny on the frame trail.

Boy howdy yes.... it's in! Posted in the "what did you do today" thread and forgot about this one...lol.

I installed mine just to the right of the hood latch. Easy access and gets decent air flow. I'm still on the hunt for a cleaner solution than just slipping the 3/8 hose over the transmission lines and clamping them... but it does work. On mine one of the NPT fittings seeped a bit even after I applied thread sealer and what I thought was enough torque. It seems with the aluminum fittings you really need to almost bottom them out and use thread sealer to get them to not leak.

20220908_100616.jpg

20220908_100853.jpg

I installed the fittings a few days before the installation to let the thread sealer cure. Thought I had nuff torque on them. The fitting on the right below leaked. I put a few more turns on it so it matched the fitting on the left, thought I was going to strip it out. But it held and sealed.
20220908_104707.jpg

I ran the lines up along the area under the hood latch support. You barely notice them. Only thing I don't like about it is the 10 feet total... large potential failure area.
20220908_111413.jpg

20220909_105002.jpg

-
Back