removing alternator

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
alright, noob question time...

how do i remove my alternator?
service manual basically says remove bolts...
I removed the silver bolts, the one shown and theres one below it, but that doesnt seem to free the thing. I started to loosen the circled bolt but fluid started beading out from the crack that the arrow points to, so i stopped quickly.
thanks for help

Attachments

• IMG_2231.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 152
The "stud" with the nut (at the back of the alternator) on it should have been a long bolt... When you pull that and the adjusting bolt, it should come right off. When you pull those bolts you were going to remove, it will loosen the waterpump (yes, you may lose antifreeze).

the ones that are circled with need to be loosed..yes..you will loose come coolant...

ok, my interpretation of above advice is: those circle bolts get removed/loosened, i will loose some coolant, but I should not worrry about the coolant coming out.

agreed? thanks

bucket, so you can save it, anti-seize on that thread with water. Disconnect the battery first.

As long as your replace it when done. Where the bolt passes through those two ears on the alternator... if you can get that pulled and then the bolt under the alternator (the adjusting one) you could pull the alternator without any more than just a slight loosening of those circled bolts...

Wait a minute.....

To remove the alternator...

Disconnect battery

Remove wires from back of alternator

Remove adjusting bolt at bottom (hidden in picture by the pulley)

Remove bolt and sleeve under dipstick.

The "stud" with the nut (at the back of the alternator) on it should have been a long bolt... When you pull that and the adjusting bolt, it should come right off. When you pull those bolts you were going to remove, it will loosen the waterpump (yes, you may lose antifreeze).
nevermind lol

ok, this is as far as i have gotten

that bolt is just a nut and the rest is stuck in the engine, cant seem to turn it. thought of taking a vice grip to that 'bolt' but dont wana kill the threads

also the lowest of those two orange bolts will not budge with my 3/8"-drive socket wrench

tried A, tried B, whats C?
thanks guys keep it coming, I'll get there....

Someone put a stud at the top; he has to remove wp bolt in order to pull alt.

yes yes,
i think you have it,
now my poor little 3/8 drive wrench is having a BIECHE of a time on that bottom bolt. should i just get my hands on a bigger drive socket wrench for that?

dont use vice grips or you will booger it up i suggest a impact socket if you have one or get with a friend that does i am sure there is a member in the area that may help out its a pretty simple thing right now but if you start stripping bolt heads it escalates problem

dont use vice grips or you will booger it up i suggest a impact socket if you have one or get with a friend that does i am sure there is a member in the area that may help out its a pretty simple thing right now but if you start stripping bolt heads it escalates problem

mmm maybe Kcragon will lend me an "impact socket" (oh thats just an air driven socket wrench?) could be hard to get that down there...

mmm bummers

ok, i guess this thread is pretty much resolved,

I must get that bolt off, and impact socket will do.

thanks for help guys, cheers

Disconnect the battery, pull the bolt out of the alternator that is the 5/16" thread (1/2" socket) that is the adujster bolt. Loosen the nut on the stud someone installed. Swing up the alternator and remove the wiring, finish taking off the nut on the stud and remove the flat/lock washer between the nut and alternator case. Put the nut back on enough to get another nut on the same stud (called double nutting) tighten the two nuts without snugging them against the alternator case, then take the wrench and try to turn the inner nut against the alt. case, hopefully removong the stud out from the cylinder head. Then just get a bolt to replace the stud.

Disconnect the battery, pull the bolt out of the alternator that is the 5/16" thread (1/2" socket) that is the adujster bolt. Loosen the nut on the stud someone installed. Swing up the alternator and remove the wiring, finish taking off the nut on the stud and remove the flat/lock washer between the nut and alternator case. Put the nut back on enough to get another nut on the same stud (called double nutting) tighten the two nuts without snugging them against the alternator case, then take the wrench and try to turn the inner nut against the alt. case, hopefully removong the stud out from the cylinder head. Then just get a bolt to replace the stud.

worked like a charm, thanks

-
Back